Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: While I'm down there...

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    Have a look at the difference between a pre SIII Rover clutch actuation system and every other "normal" clutch actuation system in the world before you make any decisions. They aren't the same, don't work the same, don't have the same parts and don't suffer from the same problems.

Do your homework first, is my recommendation.
    Well TBH, I've never worked on any clutch besides that on my Rover and on my motorcycle. I've completely redone the hydraulics on my Rover so I'm relatively familiar on that end (plus years of periodic service on hydraulic machinery. Press brakes don't fix themselves). What, specifically, should I know if I've never worked on other clutches?

A 'barbie-convertible pink'
    1965 88" IIA

So much woe as I have with you
    þoled. --Chaucer

Quote Originally Posted by offshoretitan View Post
    If you coordinate with the shop doing the machining of the flywheel, it's a service that you can literally wait in the lobby on. I can't remember but let's say 30 minutes to get it set up and run. Well worth doing...
    That would be ideal. I'd really like to keep this to one weekend so I can have my brother come down from NYC and my father in law from rural PA without having to put the blasted thing back together by myself.

1965 88" IIA

þoled. --Chaucer

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    OK then. Best of luck.
    Sorry if I came off flippant. It was not my intention.

1965 88" IIA

þoled. --Chaucer

Artificer, while you have the floor out make doubly sure your clutch slave cylinder is good and replace or rebuild if required.

The sIIa requires the floor and gearbox tunnel to be removed to get at the clutch slave.

Cheers,
    Warren.

'71 Series IIa "Horace"
    88", RHD, 2.25 petrol.
    New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
    Well TBH, I've never worked on any clutch besides that on my Rover and on my motorcycle. I've completely redone the hydraulics on my Rover so I'm relatively familiar on that end (plus years of periodic service on hydraulic machinery. Press brakes don't fix themselves). What, specifically, should I know if I've never worked on other clutches?
    Well...the clutch actuation mechanism is different on pre-SIII Rovers. The clutch throw bearing is internal to a housing on the front of the transmission where the input shaft sticks through. Changing this bearing isn't nearly as easy as changing later, "normal" throwout bearings which are consumable items that ride unenclosed on the input shaft between the clutch fork and the pressure plate.

Have a look at the 4th, 5th 6th and 7th pic at the top of this page. You'll see the throw mechanism housing and how the bearing is internal to this, along with how this whole contraption fits inside the bellhousing:

https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rov...a.76144/page-6

Now compare that to the relatively simple-to-change later style throwout bearing placement that every mechanic in the world is failiar with:

--Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    Have a look at the 4th, 5th 6th and 7th pic at the top of this page.
    ::Sees the third picture:: "That's not so bad. I don't see what the problem is."

::Sees the fourth picture:: "Oh."

::Sees the fifth through eighth pictures:: "Oh, no. No. Nope."

Unless ball bearings fall out of the case when I pull the gearbox back, I'm not going anywhere near the throwout bearing. Thank you for opening my eyes, SafeAirOne.

1965 88" IIA

þoled. --Chaucer

Quote Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
    Unless ball bearings fall out of the case when I pull the gearbox back, I'm not going anywhere near the throwout bearing. Thank you for opening my eyes, SafeAirOne.
    I'm not saying it's impossible to do in your timeframe, but it's not the simple task that all other throw bearings are.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).