Thread: Engine harness routing

Default Engine harness routing

Hi, in the process of replacing engine harness with one from Brit wiring. Previous owners nest got torn out and in the process of doing it right. I am trying to figure out the engine harness routing.

Theis is is for a 64 2a with alternator conversion....left hand drive.
    Does the harness route from the fire wall, attach to the green wires then to the oil pressure switch, then around the front of the engine to the alternator, washer bottle and carb warmer ( if you have one)? Or do it firate route along the back of the firewall on the opposite side ( left side) to alternator. I don't think I am asking this clearly, so perhaps a pict if someone has one? Many many thanks

j

Ok! Found a pict online to answer. All good!

All, can I pls get some help with harness routing? Specifically how does th engine harness route? And how does it link up to the main harness and rear harness? Any pictures would be awesome! Just having a hard time figuring out how to link it up and not have too much extra wiring.

Here's the harness routing.

http://www.roversnorth.com/Land-Rover-Parts/109

Colin

Colin, appreciate it! Was looking to see a bit more detail on how folks were tying up their harnesses, and specifically how they were attaching the wiring to the firewall, as well as how they were routing the engine harness through all the accessories that are on the distributor side of the engine. Anything on that?

It mounts on the inside of the passenger side wing using metal clamps. Not a great picture but you can see the clamps that would hold it to the wing. You can follow the harness to the horn and then to the breakfast.

Colin

Here's a bit more detail. These pictures start at the regulator and work their way towards the front of the vehicle.

This is just below the regulator on the bulkhead.

The main harness below the regulator.

My harness used two of these and mounted to the inside of the passenger side wing on its way to the breakfast. This portion goes through the breakfast (behind the grill) to the driver side and the headlight connects to this.

This is the engine harness on the passenger side of the motor.

Goes between the oil filler and block

Then passes behind the front cover on its way to the other side of the motor.

Driver side of engine where it then connects to the generator (or alternator)

This is on the bulkhead coming from the fuse block running towards the driver side. It then runs through the bulkhead to the interior. This is what the dimmer switch for the headlights connect to.

Keep in mind this is how mine was run on my '69. Everything looked factory when I started pulling stuff apart, but over the last 47 years I suppose previous owners could have changed stuff. I hope this helps you out a bit.

Colin

Thank you. That's fantastic!

To further explain, using the photo above:

#1 runs along the passenger side wing, then across the front of the bulkhead over to the driver side.
    #3 runs from the voltage regulator, along the passenger side of the motor, then across the front of the motor (passing between the block and the front cover of the motor. This wiring connects to the generator or alternator.

#1 also runs from the regulator along the bulkhead and ends at the dimmer switch.

Colin