Thread: Asking for winch installation opinions

Default Asking for winch installation opinions

I plan on installing a Warn 9k winch on Maggie soon. I read on here about a Warn mounting plate that gets welded to the frame horns. I would like to know more about it.

Other than taking the off road lights off due to them being in the way are there any ideas or advice on wiring,mounting options, roller fairlead, etc, etc. ?

I bolted a piece of angle iron on the inside of each frame horn. Mounted a plate on top of those to mount the winch. Not a fan of the welding option myself but it depends on how it's done and who does it.

Use the wiring supplied with the winch. -cable to the - post on the battery. I use a cut off switch mounted close to the battery and attach the + cable to that. You can always go direct to the battery with the + cable as well.

Fairlead? Depends on if you're using wire or synthetic but if you're getting a new winch it should come with the correct fairlead.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Why not build a solid bumper, and mount the winch directly between the frame horns like it belongs? The warn 8274 is the most period correct winch you can still buy today that you might want to consider.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

That's along the same lines as what I did when I eventually built my bumper. I made two new pieces of angle iron and made them long enough to butt up against the back side of the new rectangular tube bumper. Welded them to that. So now, not only is the angle iron cross bolted through the frame horns, the whole thing is mounted to the traditional bumper mounting holes as well. Winch plate just bolts to that.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Just bought a used winch, waiting for it to arrive.

Since I have multiple uses for it, I plan to mount it on a plate welded to a 2" square tube to go into receiver hitches. Already have one on the back of Hannibal, plan on fabricating one to just sit below the front bumper. It will also go on the head of my flat bed trailer and the lift in my shop to winch up dead vehicles. Lastly it can go on the back of my pickup truck to provide leverage for a variety of activities.

Wire winch directly to battery, consider putting in a fuse for the correct amperage.

Right now looking for a good water proof high amp plug to install in the various locations, should start a new thread......
    Hannibal...... 1964 SIIA 88" NAS.....