Thread: Free wheeling hubs for 1970, LR S2a, 109, station wagon.

Default Free wheeling hubs for 1970, LR S2a, 109, station wagon.

Hello;

I would like advise on what kind/make of free wheeling hubs to install on my truck (1970, LR S2a, 109, station wagon), and also if these are recommended. I read about PROS & CONS on having them and just would like some advice. Drive usually on the city but go on long trips once on a while where we use 4WD a lot.

I have seen 10 & 24 spline hubs for sale on Ebay (SELECTO and AVM makes); wonder if our host might have them as well.

Thank you.
    Neil

Neil M. Salazar, PE

The hubs should I or shouldn't I question is often debated and really comes down to personal preference. For city driving you won't see much difference with hubs or without. In my opinion, the place where they make a difference is distance driving when you are steadily going 40 mph or faster. I have not had a Land Rover that has not had them as I am a fan of having them. I think you will need a 10 spline pair but the safest thing to do is to remove a drive member and count the number of splines. I have used Warn, which are hard to find, and AVM. Both brands did their job except that I could not stop my AVMs from leaking. I'm sure there is a way but I never figured it out. I removed them and went back to Warn when I was fortunate enough to find a pair. If you keep checking Ebay in the US and the UK you may find a set as well. Don't know if this was much help.
    Jim

I second what Jim said. I'd look at finding a good set of older hubs. I also prefer the older Warn hubs. Talk to Ike at Pangolin4x4. I'm sure he has his favorites along with some parts to sell you. What have you seen being used locally?
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Thank you for the feedback.

I am not aware of any special kind they use here in Peru; but my mechanic told me that I should bring some from US.
    On May-June I plan to do a long trip for a few weeks, I think it will be 2/3 asphalt and 1/3 firm dirt; probably won't use the 4WD much.

I just read a few reviews on having/not having free wheeling hubs and the comments are pretty convincing for NOT HAVING them as the improvements are not much (gas, speed, lighter steering, wear/tear of front drive train) + some say that is another thing that could go wrong.

I have been driving my truck for the last 12 months and have my arms/chest like POPEYE from steering my "beast" (such tiny and sharp streets here on my town + traffic congestion).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barrio-del-solar.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	11366 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tráfico-en-Arequipa.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	11367

Thanks.
    Neil
    Last edited by neil.peru; 02-15-2016 at 11:34 AM.

Neil M. Salazar, PE

Having them or not is not a deal breaker either way. I prefer them. Yes, one more thing to break.....possibly....I've never seen one broken on a series truck in 22 years of driving them so I think that argument is a little overblown. I have seen stripped out drive members though. On the other hand will it give you better mileage? Not significantly. Will it reduce wear and tear on the front driveline? I'm sure it does. If you're using them 1/3 of the time like you estimate, then that eliminates the lack of lubrication argument.

I broke my front differential once and it locked the front up solid. A simple twist of the front hubs and I was able to get out of the woods and deal with it. Easier than removing the drive member and having oil leaking all over.

I like the Warn M-11. The older Mayflower hubs are pretty robust as well. I'd shy away from the newer hubs with plastic parts. That's just me though.
    Jason

Hello;

Thanks for the comments.
    I have been trying to find the warn M11 hubs and only Pangolin4x4 had a set for $300 but with missing bolts; they will let me know where to get them. Is there another alternative for a good set of HUBS?.

I just read a funny article on FWHubs,... http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HT...eling_hubs.htm
    "good thing my antenna broke off on my last trip", I understand now the reason of that sudden acceleration".

Thanks;
    Neil

Make sure to take plenty of pictures on your trip!
    Jason