Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to purchase first Land Rover and would like some thoughts

Default Looking to purchase first Land Rover and would like some thoughts

Live here in NJ and want to do some light 4 X 4ing in Jersey Pines.
    Looking at a 1970 LR iiA diesel 88 truck in Conn this week and some nervous about doing so.
    I know to begin with 55 is top speed and know the way people drive here it is a negative.
    But have been told some serious mud holes back in Pines and to be careful and wonder if to much
    for this 60hp diesel and if it can handle it.
    So wonder if others with diesel what they feel iiA can do or if I should just wait and look for a gas LR?
    thanks joe

Harley,
    First, vintage Landy's are like any vintage car in that they have their own set of things to look at when considering buying one. I t would be nice if you could find someone in your area that knows Series Land Rovers to take a look at it with you. Barring that, look, drive, take pics and use this forum to help your decision. As if this truck can handle "mud holes" etc the answer is YEP!

Cheers,
    Rob
    Bugeye88

I would add that in order for owning and operating a Series Rover (from a practical and financial perspective) you need to at least have average wrench turning abilities and like doing it. It will take time, parts, money, and beer (and an understanding significant other) to get it to be reliable.

On the plus side every time I drive it my smile is ear to ear. It is just a kick in the pants. One word of warning: I am 6'3" and simply too tall for my truck. If I sit up straight I am looking at the top of the windshield instead of out of the windshield. I didn't notice that when I bought the truck (though it wouldn't have stopped me).
    --David

1959 TR3
    1970 Series IIa 88" ("Homer")

My hovercraft is full of eels.

I'd say they are OK in the mud. Depends on how it's set up, like any other vehicle. Diesel will be fine off road. You'll find it lacking on road. 55mph might be wishful at times.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03625.JPG 
Views:	295 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	11370   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03632.JPG 
Views:	290 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	11371  
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

55mph flat (maybe with a tail wind), down hill certainly. 35mph uphill. Still grinning though.

Just be prepared for the other drivers to honk in approval of being stuck behind you. Then they shall give you the one finger Rover Salute as they pass, cutting back in to your lane inches from your bumper, once again showing their appreciation of your stately promenade.
    --David

1959 TR3

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    I'd say they are OK in the mud. Depends on how it's set up, like any other vehicle. Diesel will be fine off road. You'll find it lacking on road. 55mph might be wishful at times.
    Ok. That is not just mud. That is beyond mud...something like "Super Mud." Did you have to go back months later to dig it out or did the winch do the trick?

edit to add
    BTW, that kid is a trooper.
    --David

1959 TR3

Made it out just fine. Took longer to hose it off after than it did to get out! Yes, he is a trooper and still talks about it to this day. Makes it all worth it.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Welcome Harleyyujoe.

55 downhill with a tailwind. I stay off interstates and similar state roads. You've been there where someone was doing 45 and you went "what the (*&^% ?" Some yoyo yacking on his cell phone is going to run you over. This can hurt, especially if it's an 18 wheeler. That said, it's a hoot to get there via the back roads. Sometimes the mileage is considerably less when you can get a straight-ish line going. When the speed limit is 45 you're much more comfortable. If you create a parade, pull over and let them pass. I usually print out some pages of Google maps for my route. Between that and the phone it's pretty easy to figure it all out. And, the scenery is MUCH more entertaining.

Off road the Series trucks are VERY capable. They are rugged and the four wheel drive/high low boxes give you all the torque you need. Usually it's the driver that runs out of technique long before the Rover runs out of capability. Spend some money on a decent tire and leave the rest alone. Yes, a winch can be helpful if you look for trouble and find it.

The other piece of advise above bears repeating. Take someone with you that knows these trucks. Everything is replaceable for a price. But the two weakest points, ie the steel chassis and bulkhead (firewall) do rust out if neglected and require EVERYTHING to be taken apart and are expensive to buy. Make sure they are sound.

And yes, being familiar with automotive tools and their use helps. There are lots of fora like this with tons of information about the specific procedures to help you through them, but you do need a general idea of how to work on cars. There are people that do it for a living, but unless you have a very deep wallet that is not the way you want to go.

Keep us posted!
    Hannibal...... 1964 SIIA 88" NAS.....

thank you for your information... trying to go friday to see land rover, will let you know.
    Luv the mud pictures Jason.. thanks all

Just some of my thoughts, First make the truck road worthy, good engine, brakes, and electrics and all working clutch and all pedals good and firm.
    Good tires make off roading a blast, the wheel arches have plenty of room for tall 15 or 16 inch rims.
    Talk with others, (here) and get the right information, read the green bibles to make yourself familiar with this truck.
    Get used to wrenching and bring tools on the road, as well as extra fluids, axles, and other important fluids, hypo, brake girling, and radiator fluid, as well as an assortment of nuts and bolts, (for those things that may fall out of the car), and drive conservatively it is not a jaguar, and certainly does not stop like a performance car. Best of luck, cheers,