Thread: So close, yet so far...

Default So close, yet so far...

Hi all - I'm new to the group. I was hoping to be the owner of a new to me Series 3 today
    I saw it listed on eBay and it was a few hours away. The earliest I could see it was today so I spent the entire weekend dreaming, reading and learning about what I was getting involved with.
    My only hesitation was the top-speed, but as my only concern, I figured it is something I can live with.
    This site was so helpful. I read tons and felt like I had experience when I finally got to see it in person.
    I'm glad I saw the youtube clips about not buying from eBay. (without seeing it in person)
    I knew what to look out for and it made my first time inspecting it seem like I've done it many times before. I think the owner was surprised about my knowledge since during our first conversation, I didn't know a thing.
    The weekend gave me time to learn lots. If not, I would have thrown my money at him and tried to get it home as quick as possible.
    It was beautiful from far and far from beautiful up close. It had a quick spray paint restoration underneath to cover rust. All galvanized parts were removed and spray painted black. Suspension was shot. Steering had tons of play. Although it had overdrive and I was told it can do 60, I couldn't come close to 50 on flat roads.
    I'm glad that I came to see it because I wouldn't be able to sleep until I did.
    Unfortunately, I'll just have to look for another...until I find it, I will continue to read, learn and lust.

-jack

Be patient. Good ones are out there and worth the wait.

You did the right thing.

Good job. It's easy to fall for the blonde wig....
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Exactly what you should be doing! Good job. Seriously.

Best series rover to buy is NOT the first one you see. That's how you learn. You'll find the right one - if you've taken the time to read/learn what you have so far, you're likely a good match for these trucks. They are best placed with people that take the time to understand what they're doing - homework first then do it.

If you post your location here, a forum member may be able to help you inspect the next one (or find the next one!)
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

My hat is off to you for doing what probably 99% of the population can't do in that situation - show restraint.

Colin

Thanks everyone. I'm in NYC if anyone has leads. Thanks in advance.

jack

I'm counting on a top speed of 40mph from mine, all I'll need on these rural roads as I never plan on taking it out of town!

So, I've been busy browsing - despite my first experience being a disappointment. How do you guys feel about the Santana? Pros/Cons?
    70's Diesel, restored and looking gorgeous.

It's not a Land Rover, but looks close.
    Doug
    61 Series II 109 SW
    95 RR County LWB
    06 Range Rover
    98 Discovery LE

Quote Originally Posted by DGG View Post
    It's not a Land Rover, but looks close.
    Sorry, wrong thread. Was meant for the Santana thread. Please ignore.
    Doug
    61 Series II 109 SW
    95 RR County LWB
    06 Range Rover
    98 Discovery LE