Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discovery Guys

thumb-up Discovery Guys

So OK where are all of you Discovery guys

Don't tell me your trucks are all up and running like a top

Of course my 1996 is but with gas prices i only drive 100 miles a week if that, i just have a Land Rover in the yard to admire
    regards; Dave
    A 1997 Discovery guy from

nono New guy here

Landi41-

Just bought my first Land Rover, a 97 Disco w/ manual trans. Hard to find in this part of Oregon. Looked at lots of Jeep Wranglers, but they all drove like my old '47 Chevy. Can't believe the off road capability of the Disco, especially in the sand.

Mudley

Hi mudley........
    97 Discovery with manual gearbox is a nice unit.......have fun with it
    regards; Dave
    A 1997 Discovery guy from

Question Fog/Driving Light Switch Question

I have a question about the fog/driving light switch and wiring. My Disco did not have aux. lights, and I am looking for a decent set. I notice that the switch is arlready wired and in fact lights up when pressed ( with the lights on) Is there a wiring harness and relay somewere in the front of the vehicle to make wiring aux lights a simple task?

Quote Originally Posted by Mudley N. Grimey
    I have a question about the fog/driving light switch and wiring. My Disco did not have aux. lights, and I am looking for a decent set. I notice that the switch is arlready wired and in fact lights up when pressed ( with the lights on) Is there a wiring harness and relay somewere in the front of the vehicle to make wiring aux lights a simple task?
    Are you referring to your rear fog lights? On the left binnicle? Have someone sit in the seat with the vehicle on with the lights on, with you behind the vehicle, and see if having them push that button is turning on the rear fogs.
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

Default I found fog lite receptacle

Sorry, looking for front fog light connections, not rear. Thanx for reply.

I found two white recepticals next to the headlights. Eric at RN said that they were for original fogs. I think I've got it figrued out.

Mudley

Question Discovery 4.0 Manual

Hi there,
    Also just purchased a Discovery I, 97 with 5 speed. Only thing in-op at this time is the cruise control. I know, I know, an ex-Series owner asking "wassup, no cruise control", just wondered if others had similar "issues"
    Les

hmm lot's of new '97 disco owners. Me being one of them although mine is an automatic. :-( Wish it was 5 speed but for what I paid for it I can't complain. Was a series owner before but do to budget constraints I had to refine my stable to one vehicle. :-( So I opted for the Disco as Defenders are way outside of my budget and well the Series just is not a highway vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by S3AIRPORT
    Hi there,
    Also just purchased a Discovery I, 97 with 5 speed. Only thing in-op at this time is the cruise control. I know, I know, an ex-Series owner asking "wassup, no cruise control", just wondered if others had similar "issues"
    Les
    Check the rubber horses right under the master cyl, they are probably cracked at the " T "

if you have slack in the rubber hose you can cut the ends off and slide back onto the " T " this is what worked for me.

If they are badly cracked you can go to an autoparts store and buy random lengths of rubber vac. hose off of a spool, simple replace the entire length of hose.

This is the problem 90% of the time with a disco Cruise Control.

I've got a 96 Disco with 5spd manual. I bought it new. Since it went off warranty several years ago, I don't visit the local dealership all that much. But when I do take it in, they always look on in amazement cuz they act like they've never seen a 5spd (either that or they can't believe I take care of it).

Regarding the cruies control. I've had to replace the actual switch on the steering wheel adjacent to the airbag. It just wore out. If it doesn't "click" it may need replacement. Simple task, just make sure you unplug the battery and wait 20 minutes so you don't accidently activate the airbag.