Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discovery Guys

thumb-up SPEAKING OF 5 SPEEDS

Speaking of the 5 speeds. I noticed that when I shifted quickly from 1st to 2nd, that I would grind the gears at anything over 1500 rpm. My service guy suggested that I change to Redline full synthetic ATF. (Yes ATF is the correct lubricant) It has eliminated 75% of the grinding and gear changing is much smoother, especially going into reverse when cold.

Default Discovery guys

So you are wondering about other Discovery owners and how the rig runs?
    I have a 1995 Discovery and it has been the best vehicle I've ever owned!
    It was not perfect but that is the fun of owning a classic! I've been able to work on it, modify it, and its so fun I cant see straight!
    Sure its expensive but with forums like this, Rovers North and
    Atlantic British, the occasional Rover Dealer help on service/parts.
    My '95' is just about tip top! Now I've got to admit that It has
    cost me(either by choice upgrades or restoring to glory) $6,000.00
    And worth every penny! I have not lifted it at all, and still the offroad
    ability is amazing! I may lift it someday but hey, it's a rock solid beast
    and looks so damn good. I laugh to myself whenever I ride past an
    LR3 or new supercharged Range Rover. The Disco 1 is the best in my
    opinion
    Last edited by landrover77; 03-20-2007 at 12:01 AM.

Default Discovery guys

Can anyone tell me what the selection of goods is like up at the
    Rovers North shop in Westford?

I imagine its like being in a candy store as a child!! I've got a '95' DI.
    I am not looking for anything specific but wanted to visit (coming from
    southern New Hampshire). and wanted an assurance that its worth the
    haul!!

Also could anybody drop me a line on a name of a nice country dirt road
    up there with the possibility to find a trail if wanted!!!!

Thanks as always.

I stopped by in October while on a trip through New England (from NC)... I certainly felt like a kid in a candy store! Les gave my wife and I a tour and even showed a few new products (at that time) which showed up in the Christmas catalog. So yes, you can see, touch, and smell all the goodies you've been drooling over. My wife would probably tell you that I was as happy as a 10 year old at DisneyWorld.
    99 D1
    06 LR3
    09 LR2

thumb-up Discovery Owner and Lights Question

Hi,
    I 've got a 'green 94 Discovery Automatic 7 seater with tan cloth seats, a la Terence Conran (UK Habitat) design, front and back a/c, 2 moons.
    I'm a Brit and bought this guy more or less as soon as I got to the US in 1999. It had 48k miles on the clock. I spent 2 years up and down the Rockies, then 2 years up and down the Berkeley/Oakland Hills in CA. I've now been in Houston Texas for 3 1/2 yeras and he's done 121,000 miles.
    Yep, we had some cruise contol problems, I'd hardly used it mainly due to the fact that we'd never seen roads before so long, flat and straight!! Man, it's flat here!
    I've have fortunately found a Shoppe here that does most of the work for me these days, like 2 condenser fans recently (ouch!), and doesn't charge an arm and a leg. But I still try some things myself.
    I just mounted Hella fog lamps and spot lamps (not using a brush bar), and customised 2 switches to go where the headlamp height adjustment switch would go. So now I need to join up the two (or six).
    Any ideas of a good place to get the wires through the bulkhead and into the interior of the car/dashboard? Do I need to drill a new hole?
    Also should I place the trelays inside the car rather than in the engine compartment what with Houston heat and Discovery's running real hot?
    Thanks and good t'meet y'all!
    kwk
    '94 Discovery

Cool

sorry to be the jonny come lately!!!
    I have a 96 disco as you do... it is my first and i bought it out of pennsylvania. it was a good 10 hour drive back to KY too. drove like a champ except for the steering. I need to put a TLC into it but can't totally justify the cost yet for local commuting. I, like you, have hung up the rover for long trips aside from the occasional camping/fishing trip. Too much $$$.

another issue is all of the water leaks in the cab, since you are looking for other disco owners with vehicle boo boos! fixed one but still haven't fixed the big leak in the bed...

have fun and cheers!!!! i love my rover!

As for routing wires in the firewall, I found that you can squeeze them through the existing rubber grommet on the drivers side to the left of the pedals. There is enough room to fit a few more wires and you don't have to punch any new leaky holes!! Hope it helps

Loss of cruise control is a common issue. It is a vacuum system and if you do some google searches you will see the fixes out there. Basically the rubber hose's wear out and you either replace them or if you can cut off the worn part. The cruise control unit is in the front of the engine compartement under the jack. You can barely see it but you can trace the hoses back to the block and see where they attach. I fixed mine in about 20 min's and it is a recurring fix.

Bryan