Thread: S3 FFR 24v generator problem/questions

Default S3 FFR 24v generator problem/questions

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1979 Series III 109 FFR I'm working on restoring to it's appearance when it was serving with 10 Para (V) TA circa 1982. My biggest problem at the moment is the generator. I'd been driving the vehicle for about 6 months without incident (though never over 40mph). When I finally did a highway run, the orange generator warning light began to come on around 50 mph and became steadily brighter the faster I went (speed topped out at 57 mph). Since then the light is on at all speeds/RPM ranges whether in gear and moving or out of gear and stationary. My first suspicion was there was too much play in the belts and they were slipping at speed. I have replaced them and set them to the correct tension with no change to the problem. I've concluded the problem is most probably in the generator (the cable appears undamaged) and was advised to check the brushes. Does anyone know:

1. Is there a way to do this without removing the generator from the engine compartment?

2. If not, how do I get the generator out?

3. Does anyone in the States rebuild these things?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
    Hopefully you've got a resolution to your problem since it's been a while, but I didn't see any replies so here goes.

1. I don't know

2. I took mine out of the Lightweight a few years ago, had a bearing fail so rebuilt wiht new instead of forking out for a replacement unit. If i recall, it's a simple process; remove the cable by unscrewing and disconnecting. then loosen and disconnect the bolt used to adjust the belt tension, finally there should be a bolt on the bottom used as a pivot for the tension, pull this and lift out the gen. It is heavy so beware

3. I've not had the brushes done or anyone else work on the gen. but I did need the starter motor to be rebuilt at one point, I simply took it to an auto-electrician that specialized in 24v. commercial vehicles and RVs

Hope my limited knowledge helps, and that the truck is running well

Jon