Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB Tailgate for Series 3

Default Tailgate for Series 3

She just went topless,,,well my Series 3 did and it needs a tailgate to keep the groceries from going all over the road. The kids ride in the back seats so i'm going to try and make it open to the side like a D90 rear door so they can use the step bumper on the way in/out. Would get a Defender rear tail gate but don't want to pay Defender price.
    If anyone has some close up pictures (inside and out) I might just make one.
    Last edited by LH Drive; 08-26-2007 at 01:11 PM.
    1972 NAS Series 88 SW

I attached a regular Series tailgate using side hinges and anti-burst lock (removed all the drop down hardware). Works fine and the groceries (and more importantly offspring) remain within. I will attach photos FYI.
    As you point out, means you can use the step and access is easy and more practical for most functions. Only provisio is door will not take a lot of weight...although you could probably strengthen it...
    Cost of door was ~ $160 from Craddocks (or Paddocks), and shipping a few $s. Anti-burst lock and extra hinge was ~$40...oh, and a lick of paint.

Shot of lock...

Shot of lock 2...

Only further comment is that I attached the latch a bit too highh... ...should have bee 2" lower as it is above the canvas line with the hood on. Also a bit close to the cleat... as you can see above. Can hurt the thumb nail when opening the door .

Couldn't resist a shot of the truck taking the plunge....

Thanks for the photos, in the next couple of weeks i'll try and Frankinstein one together out of alluminum and pop rivets since I already have the raw material.
    Thats one clean Series Rover, nice action shot too.
    1972 NAS Series 88 SW

Until you got the door built and you don't want to lose groceries (or, I guess if you have too many mouths to feed) you could just put a hunk of 2X6 or 2X8 across the back. My brother does that when he takes the top off of his. The board keeps stuff from flying out and lies flat when he needs to carry some longer stuff.

That being said, he doesn't travel down the road with the kids in the back. Well, not busy roads at least.... .... or for a long distance.

Either way, a good way to keep the groceries in temporarily.

Rocky Mountain sells an aftermarket tailgate which if it is as good as their door tops it's excellent. They also sell stuff on E-bay under the name tallgypsy. I don't remember the price but I'm pretty sure it's less than other options.
    Jim

Anyone have any used Series hinges for sale? I need a pair for the tailgate i'm building.
    1972 NAS Series 88 SW