Thread: Sagging Headliner

Default Sagging Headliner

I have a sagging headliner. Can I repair it without taking it down? If I do have to take it down.....is it hard to take it down and then back up?
    I bought a used 1995 Classic the other day. I can't find the grease nipples for the life of me. Is their two for each wheel?
    Any help would be great.

This is a common problem and I believe there isnt a cure other than replacement of the backing material which seems a tad extreme to me. I am surprised no one else has added a solution to your request, so maybe it is true. Removal will require removing all grab handles and then it is just held in place by plastic poppers - I have never done this myself - but maybe before you embark on this, take it to a vehicle upholsterer and see if they can recommend anything.

As to grease nipples - there is probably a lube chart in the Haynes manual that will indicate where you should find them - mine is in my shop so I cant confirm that right now though.

Good luck

Paul

Lightbulb headliner fix

To repair the headliner that is sagging is easy and it does not involve taking the whole thing down.
    First purchase some 3M spray glue or headliner spray glue at any auto parts store then peel off the fabric carefuly at the edges closest to the sagging location, it should peel right off, the fabric extends beyond the trims by only 1/8 in. make a "mouth" big enough to so you are able to spray all the way in.
    spray inside the "bubble", fabric and substrate, no need to wait, and then gently with your hand, press the liner back in place starting from the inner most towards the edges.
    With a small putty knife, tuck the edges back behing the trimwork.
    Good luck, it is worth a try.
    Last edited by herb2herb; 08-01-2007 at 09:29 PM.

The headliner job is probably best left to a shop.

But... If you're a do-it-yourself'er then here's my advice...
    • Pull down the headliner
    • Remove old fabric
    • Scrub off old backing foam with a wire brush
    • Roll out new fabric and cut to size (but not the sunroof hole)
    • Spray on some 3m Super 90 or other heat resistant adhesive
    • Apply the new headliner
    • Cut the holes for the sunroof, grab handles, speakers, etc
    • Reinstall everything
    Of course saying and doing are two very different things.

For your grease nipples there are some on the driveshafts. That's it. You won't find any on the wheels. The front wheels have CV joints that run in a bath of oil. The front and rear hubs are just normal wheel bearings that need packing by hand.

jason
    90rrc
    rovermechanic.com

Default Sagging headliner

I've done the replacement myself and in addition to already posted comments I'll add these:

I bought my material from a body shop and then found very nearly identical fabric at a JoAnn Fabric shop at a much reduced cost It comes in a variety of colors, one of which may be what you're looking for.

I put the stripped headliner on a table and then did the processes already stated. Apply sprayed on glue to 1/2 the piece, apply the fabric in a careful rolling motion to prevent bubbles or folds, then do the other half. Trim with at least a 1 inch overhang, especially around the sunroof opening. Maybe 2 inches there. Do the final trim once everything else has been reinstalled and tightened down.

Think of the cost of a complete new headliner and you'll have a ball!

BK

Default headliner

I pulled the headliner our of my truck because it was sagging so badly. I then pulled the felt layer off and scraper all the soft foam off. I was left with the hard cell foam which I then painted and put back unto the truck. no one who gets in my truck has noticed that there is no nice soft felt cover on the headliner. this also eliminates the need to repair the headliner in the future.