Thread: Need help- Issue with no clutch -see symptoms

Default Need help- Issue with no clutch -see symptoms

Okay, was out driving my 1980 2.5NA powered rig with 4 speed box and overdrive. Going up a hill at 50 mph and without warning lost all forward motion. Engine runs fine and transmission goes into gear. Clutch feels normal and if let out with the truck in gear there's a tone change but no movement. The vehicle has a new clutch and pressure plate with a new throw-out bearing installed less than 100 miles ago. The driveline looks okay i.e. no broken u joints, etc. I think the emergency/parking brake no longer holds the vehicle. I also noticed a pool of fluid under the mid point of the vehicle prior to leaving but thought it was left over from my tractor. Am still no sure it belongs to the LR.
    So, again, the engine runs fine and the transmission shifts through the gears. The clutch feels normal with pressure. I haven't tried any 4 low/4 high settings nor the lock outs. Any ideas? I assume that if the slave cylinder fails then the clutch is engaged.
    What scenario allows for the transmission to shift and the clutch to retain pressure but no drivetrain movement, especially with a new clutch disk and pressure plate?
    Thanks in advance.

First check to see if the drive shaft is turning when you think you're in gear. If so, it might be a broken axle, try putting it in 4wd and see if it moves. It could also be a broken shift fork, or shifter base in the trans preventing it from going firmly into gear.

'99 Disco II
    '95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S (Gone...)

Is the transfer case in neutral? If the clutch was not functioning then you couldn't shift into gear.

Bob

It finally stopped raining so was able to go out and troubleshoot the issue.
    Engine running in 2-wheel drive in gear with clutch in/depressed no driveshaft movement.
    Engine running in 2-wheel drive in gear the driveshaft spins but rear wheels do not
    Engine running in 2-wheel drive in gear with OD engaged driveshaft spins but rear wheels do not.
    Engine running in 4-wheel drive LOW in gear with OD engaged or out driveshaft spins and movement as if normal.
    Engine running in 4-wheel drive HIGH in gear with OD engaged or out driveshaft spins and movement as normal.

So, based on the above it sounds like a broken axle. The odd thing was there was no sound or clunk when/if the axle let go. It was purring along at 50 mph (as much as a belching LR purrs) when it just coasted to a stop.

Well, you narrowed it down nicely, you most likely have a broken rear axle (wouldn't think it was the rear gears since there was no noise). Now, the fun begins... Which side is broken. You have movement in 4wd because the front is pulling you along, it just appears that things are OK since the drive shaft is turning at the rear.

'99 Disco II
    '95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)

Default Yep, the fun begins.

Quote Originally Posted by mearstrae View Post
    Well, you narrowed it down nicely, you most likely have a broken rear axle (wouldn't think it was the rear gears since there was no noise). Now, the fun begins... Which side is broken. You have movement in 4wd because the front is pulling you along, it just appears that things are OK since the drive shaft is turning at the rear.

'99 Disco II
    '95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    I plan to just replace both axles. I assume that by jacking up the rear end and then moving each wheel I may be able to tell which side has the issue or if the gears are bad. I'm just confused by any lack of noise or hard clunk, etc. I've lost ring gears before and it sounded like a watch in a blender... in this case, nothing. Barring diagnosis, it'll be fixed when both axles are replaced, assuming that's the issue.

Axles just slowly twist off (due to internal fractures developing), so no noise is heard. You'll probably find a small splined piece stuck in the diff. Yes, jacking up both rear wheels and turning each in turn will show which is broken.

'99 Disco II
    '95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)

Default Now the fun begins.

Quote Originally Posted by mearstrae View Post
    Axles just slowly twist off (due to internal fractures developing), so no noise is heard. You'll probably find a small splined piece stuck in the diff. Yes, jacking up both rear wheels and turning each in turn will show which is broken.

'99 Disco II
    '95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)

I'm just not familiar with axles that fail like this one did. My experience is that they "grenade" or "bang" in such a way that you KNOW something happened. Had I had my wits about me, I'd have known what was wrong when the emergency/parking brake would kill the engine when engaged and the clutch let out BUT would not hold the vehicle on a grade. That says rear driveshaft, ring/pinion, or axles. As it was, it let go on an S curve with a guardrail going up a grade. I had my pitbull with me and he seemed equally confused. I had to call a friend to go get my Jeep to tow me back (gotta love a Wrangler). Anyway, now to tackle the axles. Thanks for the notes.