Thread: engine block heater for petrol engines?

Default engine block heater for petrol engines?

Hey friends,
    We've recently moved to Montana where it's already quite cold. We've got snow on the ground and it's a lovely playground for a series rover!
    As it gets colder I'm finding it harder and harder to start my truck. In fact, I killed my battery today trying (it doesn't help that my starter is on its last legs). It made me wonder about block heaters. I know they are quite common in Diesel engines. What about for a petrol? Is it as simple as a generic on off Amazon, or should I use the diesel heater from RN? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

You have a plan on where the block heater will be installed?

I think that’s part of my curiosity. A friend who specializes in restoring old Toyota FJs suggested one of the stuck on pads that warms the oil pan.

That would probably be the easiest solution. I read they work very well.

I used one from my RHD Jeep, it fit into the lower radiator hose. Don't know who it was made by.

Hi Nick:

When it gets really cold your gearbox will not want to shift very easily, so something else to consider for your new, cold environment is a switch to synthetic gear oil for your gearbox, t-case, diffs and swivels. Conventional gear oils take on the consistency of rubber cement under extreme cold, while synthetics stay fluid. Pretty amazing to see: I left a bottle of each type outside overnight once when temps dropped to -30F. The synthetic flowed normally while the conventional turned into goo. And shifting even when cold is quite smooth 'n easy.

Just my $0.02....

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by TedW View Post
    Hi Nick:

When it gets really cold your gearbox will not want to shift very easily, so something else to consider for your new, cold environment is a switch to synthetic gear oil for your gearbox, t-case, diffs and swivels. Conventional gear oils take on the consistency of rubber cement under extreme cold, while synthetics stay fluid. Pretty amazing to see: I left a bottle of each type outside overnight once when temps dropped to -30F. The synthetic flowed normally while the conventional turned into goo. And shifting even when cold is quite smooth 'n easy.

Just my $0.02....

Ted
    That's super helpful - I need to look at what's in there now. I have this strange feeling I put synthetic in last time I did it, but I but the most recent trip to the shop saw that get replaced with regular oil.

I noticed the other day when it was -10 the engine wouldn't even turn over. The starter just clicked a very sad single time. Today, in the 30s, it turned right over. I know that's engine oil and not gear oil, it just make me appreciate how much temps play into the movement of parts.

As a bit of history, Rover used to supply a 110V block heater for Series 2A models 2.25 petrol & Diesel , part number 511303 , made by Bray Heaters in UK. No longer exist I believe . If you have a screwed aluminum plug with two internal ears just above the starter motor , that's where it fitted. Its a 1 inch BSPT thread .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201029_163332.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	13501Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201029_163325.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	13502Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201029_163348.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	13500

What you want is Kat's Heaters frost plug # 11407 fits into the I" NPT plug on the rear right side of the engine..You will need to spray it up wd-40 or similar for a few days and use a Long breaker bar to remove it

** The plug is actually on the driver's side of the engine (Left) or looking at it from the front it would be on the right
    Last edited by Skeeball; 03-15-2021 at 08:49 AM.
    1964 Series IIa In progress
    1968 S IIa (Sold)
    1972 S III (Sold)
    1996 Discovery SE-7 (Sold)