Thread: Series III Signal Lights

Default Series III Signal Lights

Has anyone else purchased the signal light kit plk188a from rovers north? I wanted to take the lamps out to write down the part number, but the lamps don’t seem to budge with the old push and turn method and I don’t want to break them. Is this kit a throw away once the bulbs burn out?
    1974 Series III 88 RHD
    19?? Series IIA 88 LHD (parts)

Update: It comes out easy once your break the lamp and use needle pliers to get the base out. Completely replaceable 🙄 HA!

Those plastic lamp holders make the Lamp ( Bulb) singularly awkward to remove and unfortunately not the best of designs. As previous, breaking the glass and using pliers to grip and turn usually works . For info. the later lamps used 90/110 have a separate bulb holder , removed from the back which makes servicing easier but not so accessible on a Series Rear. It also need an extension wiring to connect up. See https://rimmerbros.com/ItemList--Def...Lamps--m-16920

I just wrestled with this kit on my Series 3 about a month ago. I made the mistake of putting the running light (single filament) bulbs into the brake light socket...because they totally fit. Then, after I figured out it needed the other bulb (nearly identical, but has 2 nubs on the bottom instead of one), I put the 2 filament brake light in upside down (because, again, you totally can...no one at the factory thought to design anything so they only go in the correct way). After scratching my head at why the brake lights behave backwards...the wife said "it's like they're backwards"...and the light bulb went on in my head. Flipped the bulb 180 degrees and they work perfect now.
    Two things:
    1) My wife won't let me forget how she figured it out before me after only looking at it for 5 minutes, compared to my hour long experiments.

2) I got ALOT of practice removing the bulbs!

I seem to remember the bulb will go back into the socket a ways, but at that point you're just pushing the socket through the housing into the interior. The 90 degree turn in the slot that releases the bulb is only about 1/8" in. So, you don't have to push that hard before turning. If you jamb hard and try to turn, you just make more friction and it won't come out. Push lightly and turn immediately. It comes out easy. Push hard, and it feels like you're going to shatter the bulb and cut your fingers. Frustratingly easy after I learned that.