Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch questions

Default Clutch questions

Hi, new to the forum, have owned a 69 S2a 88 for about a year now and just starting to run in to issues. The clutch used to make my leg sore driving it but in the last 100 miles it’s gotten super easy almost way too easy and I’m guessing the clutch is the issue? Any insight anyone can provide would be great.

Thanks!

Nick

Not sure I clarified, sorry, still figuring this forum out.... the pedal is super easy to push down. The clutch engages when it’s close to the floor. It still works but I’m worried I’m going to get stranded somewhere..... so if it’s the clutch that needs fixing just need some advice on where to get started. What it might be....Never worked on a clutch before.

Nick

Have you checked your fluid level? Could be the master cylinder is leaking. Crawl underneath and look. I think its on the right side of the transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway View Post
    Have you checked your fluid level? Could be the master cylinder is leaking. Crawl underneath and look. I think its on the right side of the transmission.
    The master cylinder is on the bulkhead at the clutch tower, the slave cylinder is on the right side of transmission.

Check that one of the pins (65) through the couplings sleeve (64) , that transmits the rotary motion to the release bearing hasn't partially broken . If I remember correctly if one end of the pin breaks off, the clutch pedal will feel different and engagement point will change as well . There are two pins at 90 degrees to each other ,one each end of the sleeve. The parts are relatively cheap but its fiddly to get at. The spring (68) was deleted on later models . Picture out of early S2A manual For info Clevis 53 is connected to the hydraulic slave cylinder .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201116_162100.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	13512
    Last edited by roverp480; 11-17-2020 at 04:27 AM.

First check fluid level. Then look for any leaking, at master, and slave. There is an adjustment that is clearly explained in the Green Bibles. Also check to see that the pedal has the returns springs, they can come loose. The problem is most likely in the linkage, and an adjustment is necessary. Slave cylindar at transmission does have a bleed nipple and can be bled.

thank you so much for the insight! So happy to feel supported! I know nothing mechanical about my rover yet, so this may be the first project to figure out! Such a cool community that rovers have. The fluid idea makes a lot of sense as its been progressively getting worse and a lowering fluid level is a logical conclusion. I'll get under there this weekend and see if I can figure out what I'm looking at......how to check the level, how to fill it, etc.....

First thing to do is buy a manual of some kind like Haynes.

ok, checked the reservoir and sure enough, its almost empty. So filled it up but still not getting any difference in the clutch pedal. Its like the first 80% of the pedal does nothing but the last 20% it engages just fine. Springs back just fine though. I got under the vehicle and couldn't see any broken pins. Clearly a leak though as everything has a light coat of oil on it. Not sure where its coming from but hoping to at least get the vehicle operational so I don't get stranded somewhere... so not sure where to go from here? Was going to clean it all up this weekend to see if I could spot the leak. Wondering where to bleed from if maybe thats what i need to do to recharge the system a bit?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	13515

Quote Originally Posted by nickhauck View Post
    ok, checked the reservoir and sure enough, its almost empty. So filled it up but still not getting any difference in the clutch pedal. Its like the first 80% of the pedal does nothing but the last 20% it engages just fine. Springs back just fine though. I got under the vehicle and couldn't see any broken pins. Clearly a leak though as everything has a light coat of oil on it. Not sure where its coming from but hoping to at least get the vehicle operational so I don't get stranded somewhere... so not sure where to go from here? Was going to clean it all up this weekend to see if I could spot the leak. Wondering where to bleed from if maybe thats what i need to do to recharge the system a bit?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	13515
    Fill and Bleed at slave.