Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiring Harness Question

Default Wiring Harness Question

Hello Members.

Another day, another.... well you get the idea. My project 1969 2A 88" Petrol LHD. I have been researching to purchase a replacement wiring harness. Maybe because of all the supply chain issues in general most suppliers are at a 12-16 week lead time. I suspect that might even be longer.

I found a NOS Series 3 wiring harness. Both the main dash harness and the body harness to the rear of the truck. I have been studying the Haynes manual wiring harness and they look very interchangeable. I already want to upgrade to Alternator and the larger fuse box should be ok too. The only thing I am not sure on is how the harness is proportioned. For the 2A and the 3 the dash part of the harness is in a different place but if anything the series 3 harness should just be longer in this area. Something I could work with I think. I have asked the seller to take some detailed pictures of the harness all laid out expanded. I should be able to compare to my old one. BTW. My old one had a burn event sometime in it's past. I suspect that is why the truck was parked. I have entertained fixing it but as a last resort.

Any opinion if this is a good idea or am I just making a bad choice? Thanks in advance for any opinions. Cheers, Tom

Have you tried britishwiring.com? Good luck, Jim

Hi Jim. Yes. I checked with British wire already. They are unsure on delivery. RN is thinking 12-16 weeks. I have checked elsewhere and they have been back ordered for sometime now. I think I am going to give the series 3 one a try. Seems I can make it work. The guy did tell me I can return if I feel it is too much work. It is a pretty good deal for both the main harness and the body harness to the back of the truck. Tom

My one observation is that Land Rover started using moulded plug connections with Series 3 harness instead of the "bullets" which predominant on the S2. But, to connect the 2A type connections , I have found that one can use male bullets on single wires into the female part of the moulded type and use a female bullet type sleeve onto the male part of the moulded one and then fit a single male bullet in the other end. Alternately one could when connecting the old to the new, cut off the moulded plug and solder/crimp on bullets instead. Hope this makes sense, but I have added a couple of pictures to help explain. NB Bullets not pushed fully home to illustrate. I would also suggest any wiring extensions use, if possible, the correct color coding for the wires as it helps immensely with fault finding down the line.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220412_095903 (2).jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	13931 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220412_095931 (2).jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	13932
    Last edited by roverp480; 04-12-2022 at 04:41 AM. Reason: extra text added

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy1969 View Post
    Hello Members.

Another day, another.... well you get the idea. My project 1969 2A 88" Petrol LHD. I have been researching to purchase a replacement wiring harness. Maybe because of all the supply chain issues in general most suppliers are at a 12-16 week lead time. I suspect that might even be longer.

I found a NOS Series 3 wiring harness. Both the main dash harness and the body harness to the rear of the truck. I have been studying the Haynes manual wiring harness and they look very interchangeable. I already want to upgrade to Alternator and the larger fuse box should be ok too. The only thing I am not sure on is how the harness is proportioned. For the 2A and the 3 the dash part of the harness is in a different place but if anything the series 3 harness should just be longer in this area. Something I could work with I think. I have asked the seller to take some detailed pictures of the harness all laid out expanded. I should be able to compare to my old one. BTW. My old one had a burn event sometime in it's past. I suspect that is why the truck was parked. I have entertained fixing it but as a last resort.

Any opinion if this is a good idea or am I just making a bad choice? Thanks in advance for any opinions. Cheers, Tom
    If you are rewiring a 2A, why not just source a 2A wiring harness?

Siii harness is totally different and will not fit your '69!! No way

summit auto? 16 weeks !?!? I'm afraid my reply would be something like "hey if you don't want my business just say so", a third of a year?

Hi All. Specifically to Jim. Just to cover my bases I checked with British Wire again and they told me that they expect the correct 2A harness back in stock by next week : ). Yay! I was getting nervous that the harness was going to be my gating item to getting a running truck by this Summer. I did end up getting some additional detail pictures for the series 3 harness I was contemplating getting and it did look like it would need quite a few tweaks to make it work. Cheers, Tom

Hi All. My harness arrived yesterday! Take that supply chain : ).

Tom

Good luck with the wiring! It's always amazing how good it feels to have everything working...really improves the feeling of quality. Dang, I hate those bullet plugs. I always end up severing the connection when pulling them out. Like the wire rips out of the connector before the bullet comes out of the sleeve. I'm probably doing it wrong...

Have any of you folks used kits from AutoSparks? Are they any good?

https://www.autosparks.co.uk/land-ro...ng-harness-set
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ .........° |°... | ..__....p
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

1973 Series 3, 109