Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to figure out hazard and indicator flashers

Default Trying to figure out hazard and indicator flashers

My turn signs have been acting up so I've decided to dig in and finally figure out how all that stuff works. I have a LHD 1970 IIA 2.25 petrol, negative earth, with a Tex Magna-Lite turn signal on the steering column and 4-way hazard lights with a big dip switch and a light on the dash.

I looked at the circuit diagrams in the Green Bible and the PDF on our host's website. I assume the one on RN's website is the correct one for my model because it says it is for models made to US Federal standards. It is different from what's in the Green Bible in that it has both a "hazard warning flasher unit" (#33 on the bottom diagram) and an "indicator unit flasher" (#35). Then there is a "hazard warning light switch" (#34) and a "switch and warning light for flashers" (#42). I assume "hazard" is the emergency hazard lights that flash on all 4 corners and the "indicator" refers to the turn signals. The name of #42 is ambiguous but it looks like it's probably the Magna-Lite unit.

But when I look in the dash, I can't tell which is the hazard flasher unit and which is the indicator flasher. I assume the hazard flasher is the round tin can that (at least in my truck) is located behind the small dash panel having the ignition switch (key). Where is the other? Some of the wires from the indicator go to a tiny box mounted on the bulkhead in the central dash panel. Is that it? And while I'm at it, where did RN's circuit diagram come from--is there a Green Bible supplement that I'm missing?
    1970 Series IIA
    1964 Series IIA [sold]

The best way to identify the two units is by the number and color of the wires to it. The Hazard flasher has three wires , Brown (N) , Green with Light Green Trace (GLG) and light green with a pink trace (LGK) . The signal flasher unit has two wires ,Light green (LG) and a Light green with a brown trace (LGN). I would expect the hazard unit to be cylindrical and the signal one rectangular
    Rover often issued supplements for items specific to particular market conditions, that didn't get into the main manual , especially if near the end of production and a reprint of the main manual. Its also possible that the Hazard flashers could have been an Importer modification from standard to meet new regulations in US
    I am in the UK and was helping an owner at a Land Rover Meet in Holland with problems with his turn signal to his trailer, blowing fuses . It was a LR Defender 90 originally from Switzerland and had a LUCAS box connected to the wiring which I never found out what it did. It was listed in the parts book , unique for Switzerland, but not in any published wiring diagram. Fortunately it was just a wire rubbed through & shorting out & was easily fixed.
    For info. this is a list to British wiring colors & their usage. https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co....ew_order_2.pdf
    Hope this is of use
    Last edited by roverp480; 12-13-2020 at 08:02 AM.

Hi, IIA
    How did you make out with your hazard lights?
    I just purchased my first Land Rover - a 1970 Series IIA SWB. I have that same sub-panel with the hazard indicator light, ignition switch, and... a hole where the hazard light switch is supposed to be. No-one seems to have that switch, and I have not found it in any parts diagrams. I looked at the diagram you referenced. Maybe that will help me find a part number.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1970 Series IIA Dash Hazard Switch with Note.jpg 
Views:	844 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	13663

The Rover part number is 559235 . I believe it was also used in the Rover P6 car for NADA ( North America Dollar Area) vehicles . If you join the Series 2 Land Rover club in UK they have all the parts lists and Workshop manuals available to view including the US versions https://www.series2club.co.uk/public_pages/index.php Finding a switch may be difficult but the vehicle wiring diagram shows how its internal connections operate and a replacement could possibly be sorted.

that's a nice looking dash you have there 6 volt. I haven't driven my 2a more than half a mile.... (yet) and the e flashers on my series 3 have what looks like 35 wires going into it.

The S3 hazard switch is a totally different animal and is subject to breaking up with age as its all plastic construction, although replacements are readily available

Thanks, roverp480. I'll look into that club.

I was not able to find any info using that part number, but I'll keep looking. In the meantime, I plan to install a more generic switch.

That was not actually my dash. Mine is missing the switch. This is mine:

Name:	IMG_4310.jpg 
Views:	565 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	13664

Name:	IMG_4309.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	13665

Just a thought, you could use the S3 switch in its place , its a generic Lucas part that is still readily available . It was used in all sorts of British cars of the era . You may still have the wiring and Hazard flasher unit still in place to connect to. The attached is the fitting instructions for the generic kit including the wiring diagram, which together with the LR diagram one could match it all together. The wire colors should match .

Name:	20210717_104428 (2).jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	13666Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210717_104441.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	13667Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210717_104503.jpg 
Views:	2783 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	13668
    The kit is listed by Rovers North https://www.roversnorth.com/parts/pl...tch_series_iii The switch is available on its own, usually for less cost , this is one in the UK but gives you the idea https://www.autoelectricalspares.co....itch-913-p.asp

That could be a good temporary solution - thanks. I have not dug into whatever is hiding behind the hazard switch panel, yet, so not sure what I have to work with for wiring. I still hope to hunt down an original switch eventually.
    1970 Series IIA SWB