Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to figure out hazard and indicator flashers

Quote Originally Posted by sixvolt View Post
    That was not actually my dash. Mine is missing the switch. This is mine:

Attachment 13664

Attachment 13665
    it still looks new ........... and what's that? leather trim on the bottom of some sort? yea, mine has all sorts of switches I've yet to figure out. I can drive it maybe half a mile then the oil press starts getting lower and i think i hear rods knocking. It won't get fixed till i get the shop up.

I replied 6 volt but i don't know where "reply with quote' goes.

Quote Originally Posted by sixvolt View Post
    Hi, IIA
    How did you make out with your hazard lights?
    I just purchased my first Land Rover - a 1970 Series IIA SWB. I have that same sub-panel with the hazard indicator light, ignition switch, and... a hole where the hazard light switch is supposed to be. No-one seems to have that switch, and I have not found it in any parts diagrams. I looked at the diagram you referenced. Maybe that will help me find a part number.

Attachment 13663
    Hi, I was looking for something else today and saw this post. I still haven't found any information about the hazard light switch but I did find something close:
    https://buyexmilitarysurplus.co.uk/L...ch--31923E2182

I bought one but ended up not using it. I tested the connections and the internals are different from the hazard switch. It might still be possible to use it by connecting the wires differently but my old switch still works (with some glue and lots of tape).

Something that looks the same but more expensive is available from Holden:
    https://www.holden.co.uk/p/toggle_switc2 but I haven't tried it. Please let us know if you do. Holden is supposed to be pretty good so you could ask them about the internals to see if it's the same.

I've been fiddling around with all this for a while to try and understand it. Here's what I've figured out.

When the hazard switch is:
    Up: pins 5 and 6 are connected
    Down: pins 1,2, and 3 are connected AND pins 4 and 5 are connected. But on mine, pin 4 isn't used for anything.

Pin 1 is connected to the right-hand lights, pin 3 goes to the left-hand lights, and pin 2 goes to the L pin on the hazard flasher unit. So when the switch is down, all 4 lights will flash. This bypasses the turn signal switch and flasher unit.

When the switch is up, power comes in to pin 6, which is connected to pin 5, which goes to the B pin on the 8FL directional/turn signal flasher. This allows the turn signal switch to work.
    1970 Series IIA
    1964 Series IIA [sold]

roverp480, thanks for finding the part number. 559235 is indeed the switch I need. I found it at Emberton Imperial's UK eBay store:

559235 Hazard Switch

I pulled the panel and found the body of the original switch hiding behind it. The toggle lever is missing, but I stuck a screwdriver in it and shifted the plate, and the exterior lights and interior hazard indicator light all work! The relay is weak, so I'll try to find a replacement, but it does still work.
    1970 Series IIA SWB

Thanks jimrr and IIA for the help. I'll post pics once I get the hazard panel all tidied up.
    1970 Series IIA SWB

Pleased to able to help.