Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: there should be a international "hand crank your rover day".

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default there should be a international "hand crank your rover day".

I've had to do this now and then ............ always got a cheer from someone !!

True story, Came out of the local beer store after collecting some "supplies" and an old timer stood there and watched me use the hand crank to start my series engine, fired up right away and the old timer says " I have not seen anyone do that in 55 years",,, Loved it!!

Got a hand crank for Christmas, and having trouble getting it to work (our series iii is starting fine, I just want to try the hand crank out). Does anyone have any tips?

I do think it goes counter clockwise, if I remember doing this properly, find a compression stroke, and give the handle a good bump, pull hard,,

I have been able to start my 1969 2a fairly easily these past few months (yeah, I'll get to that $#@&* starter motor eventually). Interesting experience though. If it sits for a week it fires up with one crank. If I was driving it that day, I have a hell of a time getting it started by crank. Not sure what that's about.

Quote Originally Posted by seriatum View Post
    Got a hand crank for Christmas, and having trouble getting it to work (our series iii is starting fine, I just want to try the hand crank out). Does anyone have any tips?
    You are turning the key to ignition before cranking I assume....

I found even the slightest issue with ignition timing, plugs & points, or idle mixture can make hand crank starting difficult. Had this issue with my S1 when in France & my starter motor packed up. Towing or Bump starting worked but not Hand Cranking. It was the carb setting had drifted and the timing was slightly out.

I haven't looked but I think i asked the grenadier folks if they put a crank on it. I'm sure the new landrovers do not. and the Defender, IDk but cranking a v8 ........ you need your wheaties! the WW2 half tracks could be hand cranked, my dad said there was always some big guy around that could do it!

it will only crank one direction, when engine spins faster than you do it is suppose to sorta pop out ........ watch out for a backfire !!!