Quote Originally Posted by jimrr View Post
MJL must of nailed it!!, I own the last series 3 sold on the west coast in Boise Idaho, (still driving it) there was one other in Anchorage Alaska. can you tell us what year your land rover is as mine had no emission control stuff on it. I didn't think that stuff started getting added on much till after the gas crisis latter 70's.
jimrr - i own a 1972 Series 3 NA spec. It was bought new in 1972 in Manchester NH. I bought it from the original owner 20 years ago, it was still all original. It has the emission control set up as described in the diagram i posted and it is still in working condition. About 6 years ago i replaced the hose that runs from the fuel tank to the overflow tank and the hose from the overflow tank to the charcoal canister. I also took the charcoal canister apart and cleaned it and put in fresh charcoal. I have replaced the original Lucas distributor which was also different because of the emission control set up. It also had an anti-diesel solenoid attached to the zenith carb which i also replaced (the carb that is) the solenoid is no longer part of the set up although I still have it somewhere.

Mike