Thread: front hub

Default front hub

Replaced an oil seal in my hub today. Found it odd that the 6 bolts holding it on take a metric socket. The 5/8 was to big and the 9/16 to small. How many miles do you get on a set of brake shoes. Mine were supposed to have been new 2 years ago but it looks like I need to replace already.

Bolt is 3/8" BSF (British Standard Fine) on a 2A/3 , it has a Whitworth thread form which needs a correct BSF Spanner/Wrench on the head, which is nominally 0.601" A/F . Whitworth spanners are marked with the thread diameter not the Across Flats size of the head as per American and metric wrenches. So a 3/8" BSF spanner fits a 3/8" dia. BSF Bolt/Nut . Just to compound matters a spanner may be dual marked with two sizes , BSF and BSW . BSF being a fine thread and BSW (British standard Whitworth) being a course one . The Whitworth thread form has rounded crests and roots, has a flank angle of 55 degrees and usually different pitches to Metric and American thread of similar size. I guess a 15mm socket would fit, but may be slightly slack.
    A lot of the axle & gearbox parts on a 2A have whitworth fixing as they carried over from the S1 which was all whitworth including the engine and all body fixings. The S2 started having the, what are termed, Unified fixings in the UK, which used the standard American thread form & terminology .
    Name:  20220201_160754 (2).jpg
Views: 225
Size:  54.2 KB
    I have had this spanner for 50 years now. and you can see the 3/8 BSF end is worn, as its a common size on Land Rovers!

Just to add,I have had about 3 or 4 sets of shoes in 35 years on my S1. Often they have got changed due to oil contamination from oils seals weeping rather than wearing out the linings.
    Last edited by roverp480; 02-01-2022 at 03:43 PM.

thanks for that explanation P80! i've read such before but you laid it out in a concise manner.
    my brakes last a minimum of 5 years but around here the brakes don't get used much.
    i have brake fluid leaks before the shoes are worn much.

Well cant say I have run into any other odd sized bolts but then I have'nt done much wrenching on it yet. One other oddity is my front wheel nuts take a 1 1/16 socket and my rear a 15/16. Something to do with the type of axle I guess. I think my shoes must have been adjusted to tight to wear out so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway View Post
    Well cant say I have run into any other odd sized bolts but then I have'nt done much wrenching on it yet. One other oddity is my front wheel nuts take a 1 1/16 socket and my rear a 15/16. Something to do with the type of axle I guess. I think my shoes must have been adjusted to tight to wear out so soon.
    There are two different nuts with 1 1/16" AF hexagon. 576103 and 90577473. The former has imperial thread and the latter metric. . It may be someone has just changed the nuts on the front or changed the hub to metric as used on later S2A & S3 and needed the 16mm threaded nuts.