Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help identifying mystery part!

Default Help identifying mystery part!

Currently in the process of stripping the body panels and rear tub to be sent out for media blasting and painting. This part was under the Lefthand Rear portion of the tub, just above the wheel well. It appears to be some sort of tank that has a single port. I have searched through the green book, parts manual, and all of the accessory parts manuals - but have not been able to identify this. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance -Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201207_111709.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	13533Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201207_111703.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	13532Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201207_111658.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	13530Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201112_130946.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	13531

Portable flotation device, sorry!! But seriously I have been into rovers for 40 years plus and have never seen it, is this a MOD truck??

I'm not 100% sure the origin of the vehicle, but it may be ex-MOD. It did have a (very) faded Pennsylvania State Police logo and PA police plates on it when first purchased.

My guess for the part was a secret compartment for smuggling whiskey.

nope, not a oem land rover part............ not on a series anyway. what does the weight indicate? any sign of access? some old high times magazine had land rover series 2-3 rated as the worlds top smuggling vehicles. is there any way to see inside it? I thot initially a tool box or spare compartment but not sure where those locations were on the wheel well.
    you're going to have to get a view inside it, keep us posted !!

also: what is is made out of? what size is that port and is there a corresponding mating hold inside the rover to match?
    this ''tank'' has a indentation in it that is formed by a stamp or die when it was built indicating mass production to some degree.

The only other thing I can think of, is that is is on an Ex MOD truck and it was a containment can for 90W, or something related to Bomb Disposal or other branches of the RAF usages, or Royal marines. My Ex Mod truck was adorned with Red Fenders, and strange shaped brackets in the back tub. I can assume from pictures that some bomb disposal units had red fenders, and that the brackets in back were used to contain specific hardware or tools they used. REMLR.com is a very good source of Military Rovers, from Australia.
    cheers mate,

It looks to me like the expansion tank on a vehicle that had emission control installed. Part number is 577257. It would have been connected to the top of the fuel tank and the charcoal canister in the engine compartment.

Here's a diagram of the setup
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mystery solved! Thanks for the diagram, I must have missed that when I went through the parts manual .

MJL must of nailed it!!, I own the last series 3 sold on the west coast in Boise Idaho, (still driving it) there was one other in Anchorage Alaska. can you tell us what year your land rover is as mine had no emission control stuff on it. I didn't think that stuff started getting added on much till after the gas crisis latter 70's.