Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help identifying mystery part!

Quote Originally Posted by jimrr View Post
    MJL must of nailed it!!, I own the last series 3 sold on the west coast in Boise Idaho, (still driving it) there was one other in Anchorage Alaska. can you tell us what year your land rover is as mine had no emission control stuff on it. I didn't think that stuff started getting added on much till after the gas crisis latter 70's.
    jimrr - i own a 1972 Series 3 NA spec. It was bought new in 1972 in Manchester NH. I bought it from the original owner 20 years ago, it was still all original. It has the emission control set up as described in the diagram i posted and it is still in working condition. About 6 years ago i replaced the hose that runs from the fuel tank to the overflow tank and the hose from the overflow tank to the charcoal canister. I also took the charcoal canister apart and cleaned it and put in fresh charcoal. I have replaced the original Lucas distributor which was also different because of the emission control set up. It also had an anti-diesel solenoid attached to the zenith carb which i also replaced (the carb that is) the solenoid is no longer part of the set up although I still have it somewhere.

Mike

MJL; now that you've mentioned it i do sort of recall a black cylinder with hoses on it but that got tossed years and years ago. this is probably why i have gas leaks if i top off the tank. ............ another 'repair' waiting.

maybe i better have another look in the fender wells but i sure do not recall something like that...... surely i'd of discovered that secret compartment by now.

I just went outside and took a picture of it. The camera is positioned on the left rear wheel pointing towards the front of the vehicle. I would have cleaned up a bit before taking the picture but it's below freezing today.

The image I posted of the parts is not in the standard parts manual, it is from a Parts Catalogue Supplement for Series IIA and Series III 88 To U.S.A. Specification. The part number of the supplement is 606494. There are 108 pages in it. About 6 years ago I bought the Original Technical Publications for Land Rover Series models 1948 to 1985 and it was on there. Part number of the CD is LPT3001. You can buy it here https://store.otpubs.com/brands/Land-Rover.html it's $69.95 which is a good price considering buying the paper version of the supplement alone from our hosts costs $60

MikeName:  IMG_2889.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  128.9 KB

Sorry picture posted upside down. You'll have to stand on your head

that looks a lot like the piece of metal they put under the LH fender to cover brake/clutch pedal area but i think it is considerably longer than the one low range is posting but sure looks similar, coincidence i suppose?

Quote Originally Posted by MJL View Post
    Sorry picture posted upside down. You'll have to stand on your head
    Hi @MJL, rekindling this thread for a question...
    A friend I'm helping, has a 1971 (mfg 6/70) 88" 2A, delivered 2/72 to Rowland Motors in Seattle, WA for a Ketchikan, Alaska buyer, where it spent 40 yrs. It has the OG canister and evap tank (found thanks to your above pic), etc. I'm curious if you know whether these emissions items were implemented for all late NADA 2A's ...and S3's (ie: 24439373 and later, per your great PDF)? Curiousity stems from wondering if these items were implemented for certain NADA regions, or simply were/became an overall NADA requirement? Thanks
    Last edited by Elsa; 02-04-2022 at 12:49 PM.

And I was going to suggest it was a remnant from prohibition

well, I can't imagine what that is on a rear wheel well........... if anyone finds out please post it but I'd think it's something for a option tho I can't imagine what.

@Elsa. I'm sorry I don't have much more information about the Fuel Tank Emission Control system. The pdf I posted came from a LR document titled "Land Rover Parts Catalogue Supplement for Series IIA & Series III 88 to U.S.A. Specification" its part # is 606494 and is dated August 1972

So I assume that vehicles imported into Canada (if they were being imported in 1972) were not covered by this