Thread: Tappet guide bolts with out lockwire holes?

Default Tappet guide bolts with out lockwire holes?

I just got 8 new tappet assemblies that were made by Brit Part and none of the retainer bolts have lock wire holes.

Is this going to be a problem for me? Being an old aircraft mech, I was looking forward to doing some nice lock wiring.

it would be worth the effort to get some holes in there, I should think any average machine shop would accomplish this for considerably less that a $100 bill. ............. i'd do it for the cost of a few bits and a 6 pack. (for comparison purposes)!!

Looking at the tappet guide kits sold by our hosts and other vendors, none of the bolts now have holes drilled in them. I guess the holed ones predated the age of locktite. You didn't save the old retaining bolts that were in your engine did you?

i've never tossed a whitworth bolt EVER, sorry but i'm keeping them all !!

I did save the original bolts, but don't know how the previous mechanic did it, but three of them were bent at the tip and several had long spiral scratches. Looks like the holes in the tappet guides weren't aligned properly and the bolts were used to draw the guides into place or the holes weren't even close and it bent/mushroomed out the tips.

On my new bolts I used my drill press and drilled some .040 dia lock wire holes, used loctite and put some pretty .032 SS Lockwire thru the holes.