Thread: Rear lights

Default Rear lights

Just bought a 1972 Series 3 88 and I would like to know how the two sets of red lights on the rear are supposed to work. The outside lights come on when I press the brake or when I turn on the lights. One outside light goes off when I press the brake with the lights on. I have yet to find a switch or condition that makes the inside lights come on. I have checked all the bulbs, and I have confirmed that there is continuity to ground.

Mine's a US spec 1973 Ser 3 88" so perhaps a bit different in that the turn signal lights are orange. Having said that, there are no outside and inside lights, as they oriented such that there is a top and a bottom light. The bottom ones are the orange turn signal lights. The upper ones are red, with dual filament bulbs. The dimmer filament is lit as the tail lights, the brighter filament comes on as the brake lights.
    Not sure what's going on with yours, but be sure you have the correct type of bulbs fitted.

Mine also has side marker lights that come on when the tail lights are on, but I don't think that's what you mean by "outside lights", is it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6592 copy.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	145.3 KB 
ID:	13552I think I understand the issue now that I have reviewed pictures of other vehicles online. Someone must have added lights to mine. I have 4 reds, 2 orange, and 2 reverse. Any idea why they would have been added? It looks like I need to do some wire tracing to figure this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Winstonsalemseries3 View Post

Name:	IMG_6592 copy.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	145.3 KB 
ID:	13552I think I understand the issue now that I have reviewed pictures of other vehicles online. Someone must have added lights to mine. I have 4 reds, 2 orange, and 2 reverse. Any idea why they would have been added? It looks like I need to do some wire tracing to figure this out.
    I would guess the inside red ones are extra brake lights that were added. Easy to check.

Not uncommon for owners to fit extra lights and reflectors on series trucks, I actually was pulled over by the local police he complained about the lack of rear lights, You will have to trace some wires to see when they come on, how they work,

Ah, extra brake lights. Hadn't considered that when I posted a response earlier, but should have since I did it to mine too.

Name:	land rover 3.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	13553

Mine is an LED rear fog light out of an LED kit for a Defender. The Defender didn't have a rear fog light so the tech at the LR dealership I was visiting gave it to me. I installed it on the rear door and wired it to the regular brake lights. Nice and bright!

BTW, didn't mind drilling holes in my rear door since I'd already made it "non-original" 25 years ago by cutting it in half so I could use the bottom half when driving with the top off.

nice looking 88 eric, (where's the british flag?)