Thread: Are cylinder head bolts reusable?

Default Are cylinder head bolts reusable?

Like the title says, are the cylinder head bolts on my SII 2.25 petrol engine reusable?

I am in the process or reassembling my engine and getting ready to install the head and can't find much info on whether to use new or reuse the bolts that I already have.

Thanks for the help.

Yes, in the old days there weren't such thing as TTY (torque to yield) non-reusable bolts. So, unless a bolt is damaged in some way, go ahead and use it.

Were there washers under the bolt heads as well? I don't see any called out in the factory parts catalog.

In the old days, washers weren't used on head bolts. Just make sure the bolts are clean as well as the bolt holes in the block, use a slight amount of engine oil on the threads (if too much oil is used a hydraulic lock can occur and crack things).

Quote Originally Posted by mearstrae View Post
    In the old days, washers weren't used on head bolts. Just make sure the bolts are clean as well as the bolt holes in the block, use a slight amount of engine oil on the threads (if too much oil is used a hydraulic lock can occur and crack things).
    check green bible for sequence to tighten.

If they are the bolts that came off the engine and the engine didn’t blow up or some such that warranted the rebuild, then the bolts are fine.
    IMHO.