Thread: Mystery Part Identification

Default Mystery Part Identification

I'm troubleshooting a brake failure on a new to me 1964 2a 109 truck and have stumbled across a booster that I cannot identify. Anyone ever seen one of these before?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201011_131646.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	13472Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201011_131633.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	13473Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201011_131624.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	13474
    Last edited by RidingDonkeys; 10-11-2020 at 08:48 PM.

Sorry for the upside down photos above. They were correctly oriented, but seem to flip every time I upload them.

i'm certain that is a bleed valve staring us in the face?

Part of some Power Take off Device?

Bendix Hydrovac remote brake booster.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ben...4383.l4275.c10
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Quote Originally Posted by jp- View Post
    Bendix Hydrovac remote brake booster.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ben...4383.l4275.c10
    Great catch. That is it and it is still in the hydraulic path. I need to learn a little more about this one.

Quote Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
    Great catch. That is it and it is still in the hydraulic path. I need to learn a little more about this one.
    Most definitely added by a previous owner. Stock one (on the 6cylinders only) was a Lucas Girling unit, that can still be had through Moss Motors. I think the replacement unit is listed for a Jaguar…

I’ve messed with the Girling stuff extensively and it is very difficult to make them work if you plan to upgrade to front discs at some point. But for an all drum setup they are fine. But an inline booster is the way to go if you want to upgrade and if you ever plan to put disc brakes on the front.

I don’t know anything about the Bendix unit, but I’d be leery of wasting time on it, unless you ever had it working and actually liked the way it performed.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Most definitely added by a previous owner. Stock one (on the 6cylinders only) was a Lucas Girling unit, that can still be had through Moss Motors. I think the replacement unit is listed for a Jaguar…

I’ve messed with the Girling stuff extensively and it is very difficult to make them work if you plan to upgrade to front discs at some point. But for an all drum setup they are fine. But an inline booster is the way to go if you want to upgrade and if you ever plan to put disc brakes on the front.

I don’t know anything about the Bendix unit, but I’d be leery of wasting time on it, unless you ever had it working and actually liked the way it performed.
    It was actually functioning quite well before the failure. I don't think the Bendix unit is the problem. I found the reservoir pretty low when the problem happened, so I suspect there is a small leak somewhere. I just can't find it. Hopefully I'll have more time this weekend to troubleshoot.

Any recommendations for inline boosters? I've since had this thing torn down for restoration and the Bendix is toast. We're at the reassembly phase and I need to find something to work into the system. Any suggestions welcome.

it may be full of air?