Thread: Rats, chewed wires, or Mice.

Default Rats, chewed wires, or Mice.

OK I know you are out there, Who else has had chewed wires on the loom from mice? I've investigated some interesting solutions, traps set by the wheels, capsaicin tape, how about a cat? Don't think my 70 lb. Staffordshire Terrier will tolerate that. No. Significant damage, surprised I did not experience a short, especially on the brown high tension wire to through the dash. Yikes. So I need to splice and fix cut out bad section and solder and shrink wrap. Feel free to suggest what worked for you,,
    Cheers, Rover on,,
    Last edited by cedryck; 04-05-2021 at 02:47 PM.

OK, you could get one of the electronic mouse chasers (AC or DC, make a noise they don't like) Or, use Moth Balls or crystals in the area (they hate the smell, and you won't have moths either). I've used moth balls on stored cars for years and a open bag of charcoal (on the floor of the car) to prevent musty smells.

I used one of these to great effect in my daughter's car

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As well as this peppermint based spray

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Didn't have any issues at all after that.

moth crystals always worked for me.

You might also try putting the wires in some high quality loom, or wrapping...to give the suckers a little more to chew thru next time . The ribbed and center slashed stuff at the hardware store or auto-parts store is crap. It's thin plastic and melts easy. I imagine the mice could chew thru it easy.

Painless makes a good one I've used on two rewire jobs I've done on previous vehicles. They come in different lengths and thickness. Series wire looms are pretty simple(by design) so I'd get the thinner one. It's not a modern car with a 1" thick bundle of wires going to an ECM. It's not cheap, but it looks great and protects the wires well. Put some black zip ties every 6 inches for a neat and tidy look:

https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/braids

You can get it thru SummitRacing or Jegs in different lengths. You don't have to buy 20 feet of it. I usually only put it on runs of 3 wires or more, so that cuts down where you need it($$) but if it bugs you, armor up as much a run as you want. Good luck.

Yeah, good advice, I repaired the damage, cutting out chewed sections splicing in and using shrink wrap and a marine grade shrink wrap with glue inside to seal all damaged areas, and I purchased some nose and light devices that are supposed to deter the critters, so far so good, but summer is here in New England now and that means using the car more so that also deters them. For some of the exposed areas in engine bay, I will try some of the recommended painless products.