Thread: Elephant Hide

Default Elephant Hide

Posted this on all the usual forums so figured I might as well post here too.

When rebuilding my Nada I quickly realized that getting Elephant hide was impossible. About a year ago I decided to roll the dice and invest in having it made. I wasn't going to say anything or offer it until my truck was fully rebuilt so I could show exactly how it looks together but then there was some interest on the boards so I posted a few pics and now have decided to offer it to anyone who's interested.
    I used a swatch of exmoor and a swatch of original when having it made for comparison purposes to make sure I got what I wanted. Exmoor is printed or looks printed and original was embossed. I was able to get it embossed. Here are some pics in my truck. I'm also including a pic of old material against it when installed in my truck as well as pics of all three materials together to show the differences. The color varies from old but I think if you were using it for patches or individual panels it will blend fine. Could be the old stuff I have is faded and filthy too.
    Also from a thickness perspective its slightly thicker than genuine but thinner than exmoor.
    I ran 40 yards for a couple of 109 full interiors. I think if you do everything it is 18 yards a truck (109) but don't quote me on that. That is for seats, door cards, header rails etc.

There has been enough interest so I'm running more. It will take about a month.

The price is $100 a yard (36 inches by 54 inches) which is comparable to what Exmoor would charge when they would sell it.

If you have any questions or want some feel free to let me know.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62571104722__E85444FC-DAB8-414E-9870-FC8318DEF4B9.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	13573Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5019.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	13574Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5151.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	13575Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7141.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	13576Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7139.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	13577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7192.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	237.8 KB 
ID:	13578

"When rebuilding my Nada I quickly realized that getting Elephant hide was impossible."

My company has stocked the original Elephant Hide....Genuine Rover....for the past 35 years.

My company has stocked the original Elephant Hide....Genuine Rover....for the past 35 years.[/QUOTE]

Except you won’t sell it to anyone unless they hire you to restore their Land Rover.

I remember a series 1 that had elephant hide seats. I never understood what it was till 40 years later. I believe i wrote on here asking if anyone knew where that series 1 went for it was like new, just the ring and pinion had run out of oil. the seats seemed indestructible.