Thread: Vent Levers: All the same?

Default Vent Levers: All the same?

I've searched a few times and I cannot find a hard answer to this question. Are Series 3 bulkhead vent mechanisms the same as Series 2/2a? I'm in search of a set of levers for a 1964 2a project that I'm working on, but I don't know what right looks like. Mine has levers that someone machined very poorly out of aluminum. I'm searching for original parts, and the only ones I've found have specified for Series 3. What am I missing here? If they are different, does anyone have a source for 2a vent levers?

There were two versions for 2as. They basically look the same but the first version had a knob that was held on with a screw and the second version had the knob pressed on and was not removable.

My 66 has the pressed on knob. Not sure what was in 64 but my assumption would be the style that was held on with a screw. Parts book should have the relevant info.

my 2a has the bullet proof metal ones, my series 3 has plastic. One broke. I'm sure i have the broken piece around somewhere but i have'nt seen it in 25 years! few good things come after midnight or in plastic !!

Does anyone have a photo of what is "right" for a Series 2a? The only parts listings that I'm finding anywhere are for a Series 3, but they look like they should work for a 2a.

I seem to remember that when Land Rover ran out of spare vent levers for the 2A, they offered the S3 version instead but it has to be put on upside down as the S3 worked in the opposite direction. It looked very odd indeed as the S3 has a 'J' shaped handle and upside down the hook bit is pointing upwards , it looks totally out of place . Whether there was any other modification to make it fit I am not sure. Picture from 1965 Owners Manual
    Name:  20210605_175700 (2).jpg
Views: 280
Size:  90.4 KB

yea, i opened a vent on my 2a which isn't being driven (much) and was surprised to find it worked "backward".

Yep, it appears the only difference in the part numbers is how it opens. So I ordered a set from a Series 3 and will live life with them upside down for now.

As i recall the plastic broke on mine maybe because of low temerature but all the same i wish they would avoid plastic for structural use.