Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Center Seat, or Cubby Box - What do you think?

Default Center Seat, or Cubby Box - What do you think?

Hi folks,

My seats on my s3 109 are a little beat up. I'm looking at getting new seats. Exmoor deluxe are the current candidates.

I've also been looking at the various Cubby box(es) available. I don't currently have anything between the two front seats.

The question I have for any long-time Series owners is - which do you find more useful: having a center seat, or the Cubby box?

Since there's nothing locking in my Rover, I like the idea of having a center console to put stuff in that I don't want visible. Also, the drink holder is key (stick shift!!).

But, as I work on and drive my Rover, I find myself reaching across to the passenger side door a lot. And, having a center seat would make that more accessible and comfortable.

No one's sitting in that center seat, btw...maybe a dog. I gather anyone trying will get elbowed in the groin while I shift gears. So, it's more for turning the front into bench seating...some wiggle room and option to lay on it while reaching over, etc. Also, option to egress vehicle in an accident from other side, or switch driver-passenger in a hurry. I don't know, maybe I'm over thinking it. Both options not cheap. So, I want to get it right.

What do you guys think? In practice, which is overall more useful.

Ive had the tuffy console in mine for a long time. I love it. Large secure storage, comfy arm rest, and a radio. Worth every penny.

I made my own console out of wood 20+ years ago. It has a hinged padded top, holds the radio, and has two cup holders I rarely use. Can see some of it in the picture below.
    Name:  LandyRDoor.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  116.8 KB

It's a handy place to rest my right elbow, doesn't get in the way of shifting at all.

Nice, I did something like that when I had my D90,. I have looked many times at the Exmoor boxes, but when I first took hold of my Ex-mod it had three across in the front, so I'm keeping that, cheers.

since you're asking: I prefer having the seat there, but then I have a lot of msc. stuff! with a 109 it may not be a issue, I also like the clean look of 3 seats there. My Tahoe has the console and reaching the other side of the car is enough to make one pull over and park!!

Quote Originally Posted by cedryck View Post
    Nice, I did something like that when I had my D90,. I have looked many times at the Exmoor boxes, but when I first took hold of my Ex-mod it had three across in the front, so I'm keeping that, cheers.
    I guess ex-military vehicles rarely value interior trim like a center console:
    "Hang on enemies, let me put my latte down!"

I fitted the centre under seat tool box on My EX MOD 2A that had twin fuel tanks .

Quote Originally Posted by roverp480 View Post
    I fitted the centre under seat tool box on My EX MOD 2A that had twin fuel tanks .
    I like this idea - BOTH storage and a thrid seat!!!

Does it get in the way of accessing the gearbox for service?

I left it loose so it lifted out. It has a flange which rests on the seat box to support it. To be honest I cannot remember if it had any fixings

Has anyone ordered the Exmoor deluxe set of three seats our host sells?

I'm wondering if they come with seat frames and everything, or are they just the foam and seat covers?

I don't actually have a center seat, so I would need the whole she-bang: mountings, seat frame, foam, any panels, and the seat cover.

Also, anyone know of any nicer options that aren't $2500 a seat? The Exmoor stuff has been kind of disappointing so far. I got the rubber floor mats kit, and the loadspace rubber mat. All thick good rubber, but each piece didn't fit. Floor mats are bunched up because they are 1/2" too long. And I had to cut the loadspace mat down 3-4 inches all the way down. I couldn't cut the floor mats because they have a nice outter rim that keeps drips contained.. If the seats are going to be like that, forget it!
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ .........° |°... | ..__....p
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

1973 Series 3, 109