Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Center Seat, or Cubby Box - What do you think?

I've always wondered why folks buy expensive seats for their rig. Why not find a good upholstery shop and have the seats redone with better foam and a good waterproof covering ? I found a really nice heavy duty new (no knockouts removed) stainless steel electric box at a salvage store for cheap. It has two latches and a place for a padlock, and is flange mounted. Maybe something like this if you're looking for a console, just add padding to the top and a cup holder, job done. In my case I had to move the overdrive lever forward, out of the way beside the transfer box lever. I have an Lt95 trans so the overdrive is a bit different (reads: huge).

Quote Originally Posted by roverp480 View Post
    I left it loose so it lifted out. It has a flange which rests on the seat box to support it. To be honest I cannot remember if it had any fixings
    i think it fits in there like the cover on the LH side does.

With the lack of security that Series truck brings, I think is is a good idea to have a locking box, for phone, money other valuable, Frankly though after experience "curious" onlookers , especially when the door tops are off in the summer, I prefer a large 70lb. Pit bull in the front seat for security reasons. Plus, I never venture far from the truck wherever I go.
    Cheers lads, all the fathers enjoy your upcoming day!!

@maerstrae: I thought about going to an upholstery shop, and I still may(mostly for color options or maybe leather, which is hard to get in kits). But, I'm inclined against it for three reasons:

1) The foam inside. Not sure if the upholstery shop will replace the foam with new foam or just pad out the deflated bits and ripped bits. That would mean 90% of the foam would be old. So, I'd be paying like $1500 for 40 years of farts and mold(you're welcome for that visual...try to get it out of your head).

2) I'm in SF Bay Area California. So labor rates are crazy high. Upholsterers are going to charge me $150 per hour for a job like that. Sad, but true. It's cheaper for me to get new parts online than pay a local guy to wrap $60 worth of vinyl around my seats.

3) I may need the frame for the middle seat. Also, My seat frames are rusted and old. Probably salvagable, but I don't think Carlos at the local upholstery shop will sandblast, weld and paint my frames. He'll probably shove them back into the foam, assuming I'll never see them so why bother. But I'll know...it will be new leather seats with 40 year old farts and rusty frames inside...and cost a small fortune.

As far as the cubby/console: I mostly just want simple access and a cover. I don't need a safe in between the seats. If someone really wants to get in there, they will...especially with aluminum doors and body panels and flimsy sliding windows. I'm under no illusions that it's secure. I just need somewhere to put napkins, band aids, pens and that kind of thing, out of view and easily accessible while driving.
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ .........° |°... | ..__....p
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

1973 Series 3, 109

Just took out my cubby box. I’ve ordered the new Exmoor Trim door cards with a the pockets from our hosts for storage, plus I’m installing the drop in storage box Rovers North offers to go under the middle seat.

For my money a cubby box makes for a very tight cabin and it makes for possibly dangerous steering in the offroad when quick response is critical to the vehicle's safety! I wouldn't use one if given to me.

You folks make some good points.

What about a "Short cubby"? Does anyone make those? I'm talking about a cubby only about as tall as the seat cushion, or maybe just 3 inches proud of the seat cushions? I figure that would give you about a half a cubic foot of storage, two short cup holders and not.get in the way of sliding your butt over to the other seat?

Is anyone making such a thing for sale? If not, I might try to make one. The next question is :
    What to make it from?

I have a wire feed mig welder, rivet gun, and all the woodworking tools needed for furniture projects. So it's either steel(welded), aluminum(riveted) or wood(jointed)..
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡

1973 Series 3, 109

ok, i'm sold on the center seat cubby. i've always wanted one but when cedreyk mentioned locking it I'm reminded i lost the cover for mine about 1975 and made one from a locker in the army barracks! so i need to see if that cover is available from our hosts as like charles I'm not too keen on that center console for the same reasons. Incidentally, the lock tab for one of mine got broken off. those are made of cast material and pretty hard to duplicate.... i'd be surprised if they are available but i'll look.

Old post, but I'm finally at a place where I can start looking at interior options. I think I like the 3 seats with the toolbox underneath. I may try to rig up something off the rear bulkhead for drink holders.

Now I'm looking at seat kits. Seems the going rate is about $400 for 3 NEW seats with frame and hardware. Okay. So like $133 per seat.

I was on Ebay last week and some guy is selling his original, ripped vinyl seat cushions for $150...just the bottom cushion.

Am I missing something? Do these "original" seats have value? Sounds like I could sell my old, ripped seats for $600?! And get new ones for $400? That doesn't add up for me?

Is there some interest in the community for "original" seats...even if they are rough?

I don't want to throw out a sought-after part. But it's just foam and ripped vinyl, right? Nothing that says "only ever made right in Solihull"?

I have been seeing things like original carburators being sought after because the reproduction ones are crap. That I understand how the original, rough one can cost more than NEW. But seats?

What are your thoughts?
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡

1973 Series 3, 109

mind sharing the seat kit you decided on?