Thread: should i just drive it?

Default should i just drive it?

The previous owner left the shop, made it a block and the engine ''seized''. they'd not refilled the crank case. by omitting some intrigue I discovered the engine runs with 40psi but I see no oil laying on the head and i think i heard a squeak coming out of the valve cover so until i undo that lube line to the head i haven't wanted to drive it but damn, !!, it's just sitting out there and i got so much else to do.
    It's a nice 2A with the 'newer' 8-1 engine it seems. (and a spare (original?) ) 16" wheels, overdrive, electronic, spin on, headers, nice carb ............. a great find with a story behind it. what would you do if you didn't have a lot of time to spend on it for a couple years? i've cut open the old filter & didn't see much at all, it'll blow a lot of oil on the ground before you can get to the key ............. i don't think there is really anything wrong with it and i never saw a lot of oil going to any head adjusting valves with engine running.

If you have 40psi, seems good, adjust valves, renew all fluids, and make it stop. Check brakes for integrity, make it worthy with all lights to work. Drive and evaluate , take a phone with you. We started a late series 2 that sat for 18 years, new gas, new battery, cleaned plugs, a bit of oil in the cylinders weeks before, and he's driving it now.
    Last edited by cedryck; 05-17-2021 at 03:11 PM.

things look pretty fresh under the hood, he'd spent about $2k on it in the shop before driving it a block !!, it's just the oil supply to the head that concerns me ........ i guess i'll find time to undo that oil line and see if anything is going up there ........ i've also considered the oil press being measured before the bypass but maybe i'm parsing things too much.

Check that the two banjo bolts , fixing each end of the oil feed pipe to the head , have the correct cross holes allowing the oil to flow and are not blocked. If I remember correctly one has a reduced size hole to moderate the flow.

Maybe drop pan, check pickup for oil in pan, clean while your there, replace gasket when you are there.

there are many things that SHOULD be done, I believe if I found oil at the banjo pipe supply i'd assume the mains are getting pressure too. stay tuned rovers, i'll get to it eventually but right now the day is filled fixing fence, working sawmill, chasing water etc. (ranching)

Ok, I drove it!, that is one nice running machine, I forgot what the steering was like on a nice one, it's like power steering that old variable ratio! I even tried the over drive, that fairey is a nice option and I wish I'd not sold my Fairey though I kept the rig. So, it starts right up, have to get use to turning the key to off to re-engage the starter. still learning what all the knobs etc. are but this 1964 Series 2a is like a new rig compared to the series 3 I bought New In Boise Idaho in 1975! I didn't undo the banjo nor anything, i just got in it and drove it then pulled the cap off the valve cover and there was Oil in there, plenty of it along with that metallic looking smoke no one wants to see. I drove it again and noticed more drop in oil pressure accompanied by a knock that actually sounds like a main but is probably a rod though slight. I poured lead additive/preservative/booster in the tank with a couple gallons of '91 octane along with some lucas oil treatment and will drive it once every few weeks around the neighborhood but i guess it won't be making any trips to the city till i get new inserts in it. it's going to make me work to have it huh?