Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Terminology - Sound like you know somwthing

Wink Terminology - Sound like you know somwthing

Hello Rovers!

Somewhat new to Land Rover world, and I must admit that I'm scratching my head at some of the acronyms. I'm embarrassed to say I found out some of these just a few days ago. Thought I'd start a thread. Might be fun to post what we 'thought they meant along the way. It's fun to laugh at ourselves, too.

MOD/Ex-MOD - This means "Ministry of Defense" and it means the truck was a military surplus vehicle in the UK. Some differences in design for military. - In retail context, this means "Manager on Duty". Heh. Not that. Although they are pretty "Boss"

LWB - This means "Long Wheel Base" and it denotes the 109" or 110" models.

SWB - This means "Short Wheel Base" and it denotes the 88" and 90" models.

NOS - This means "New, Original Stock" and it means the part is New in the box, but it might have been sitting on a shelf since 1975. This is often the only way to get original equipment that is discontinued.

NAS - I have no idea what this means. Is this a reference to a certain rapper? ;D Little help here?

TDI - To the rest of the world, this means "Turbocharged Direct Injection". On VW's its often on the Diesel motors, so I kind of always assumed it meant "Turbo Diesel Injected". It's the intake for the motor. It has a turbocharger which shoves more air+fuel into the engine, and fuel injection system. Stop me if any of this is wrong. - On Land Rovers, this is a model of Defender? Does that model have a TDI setup? Should I call my Series "Series Carbeurated/Series 3c"?

What are some acronyms that stumped you?

...to add to the indignity, I miss spelled the Title and I can't change it. o_o

NAS, North American Spec. ROW, rest of world (spec). TDI is as you say. Series 3c isn't a thing, since all Series Land Rover had carbs. Unless you consider the Discovery Series II, a horse of a different color.

Quote Originally Posted by mearstrae View Post
    NAS, North American Spec. ROW, rest of world (spec). TDI is as you say. Series 3c isn't a thing, since all Series Land Rover had carbs. Unless you consider the Discovery Series II, a horse of a different color.
    What exactly makes it a "North American Spec"? Other than seat belts and the steering wheel on the left? I see NAS in front of everything. Does that mean the bolts are UNF instead of metric?

Oh, better add:
    RHD - means "Right Hand Drive", where the steering wheel, pedals and driver are on the right side of the car.

UNF - means "Unified Fine Thread". It's like SAE sizes of bolts (fractions of inch) but finer thread pitch. Sometimes called "machinist" threads. But basically a useless moniker, because there might be 2 or 3 different thread pitch sizes that qualify as "fine" right next to each other. I wish people referred to sizes in full name, example "5/16ths - 22 - Grade 8". Then you'd know what you're getting. But I'm going on a tangent.

NADA - What?!

NADA, kinda like NAS, North American Dealer Area. NAS is of course left hand drive (as are Dutch vehicle and some others), have all the same bolts (basiclly metric on newer LR's, and BSF and BSC (similar to UNF and UNC), or even Witworth on older LR's) etc. Pretty sure that newer NAS vehicles have different polution controls, as UK (and EUR) worry more about carbon dioxide, and here we worry about hydro-carbons. And, perhaps different safety standards. UNF= unified national fine. UNC= unified national course. You'll also find NPT referred to and that's national pipe thread. Then you've got SAE references also. Confused yet???

IDNS= It does not start.
    ILO= It leaks oil.
    IHTHPWD= It's hard to hear passengers when driving.
    NBWWOR= Need beer when wrenching on Rover.
    Cheers lads!

thx, for the exmod, finally i know. don't forget OEM "original equip. manufacture"..... and having worked for the gubment 35 yrs. I know a lot of those !!

Now that this can of worms is open... Bolts and nuts are usually NC or NF (national course or national fine) in inch sizes, you'd be hard pressed to find other thread pitches at the local auto parts or hardware store. Grade markings are pretty easy, just add two to the number of lines shown on the head of a bolt, two lines - grade 4, three lines - grade 5, etc. Most folks don't know but, nuts and lock washers also come in grades, as do flat washers. These should be matched up when putting something together. I've found grade 2 nuts an grade 8 bolts, pretty useless. Oh, the reason for adding two to the number of lines on a bolt head is...unmarked bolts are grade 0 or 1 or 2. There are other bolt markings as well, but these are the common ones. And some graded nuts use a dot system on the tops, one dot grade 4, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cedryck View Post
    IDNS= It does not start.
    ILO= It leaks oil.
    IHTHPWD= It's hard to hear passengers when driving.
    NBWWOR= Need beer when wrenching on Rover.
    Cheers lads!
    I definitely have an ILO Series 3! No need to check the serial number! And I don't remember asking for that package option!