Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Terminology - Sound like you know somwthing

The ILO option comes free on all British cars (by order of the Queen). Sort of a passive warning system for fluids, if you don't see the offending fluid then it's empty. More accessible than a dip stick. And not pricey like the Rover Cars "Ice Alert" system, to warn of approaching glaciers (after the Titanic, an option by Royal decree)... [This last one's real, there was an "Ice Alert" option, I have one from my '70 Rover 3500S.]

A comment on NAS/ROW...

After learning about the meaning, below(thanks for that), I saw a product listed as "NAS & ROW". So, that means "North American Spec" and "Rest Of World", right? So, the product description means basically "fits all", because there's nothing left. Unless you count the Mars Rovers, right?! ;p

I think sometimes all these acronyms obfuscate the meaning more than helping to describe things.
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ ......... |... | ..__....p
    └/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

1973 Series 3, 109

You have to take into account that these notations originate in the UK . So ROW excludes the UK . Another older one used by Rover is NADA ( North America Dollar Area ) which includes US and Canada . It all makes sense here in the UK but I agree these acronyms are ambiguous . It is common in many industries that acronyms accepted as the norm become ambiguous or contradictory outside them. I worked for Rover & Land Rover and one had to emphasize to some employees that the Market was global , especially Land Rover , and one had not to become too parochial in ones thinking.

Ah, okay...that makes sense. I guess I didn't think it through:

NAS/ROW means it would work in North America, and export markets, but not necessarily in the UK.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply the US is the center of the world .

I think I just see alot of letters in front of parts these days more so that search engines will catch the words rather than being useful to us. I think most people would use the LR part number than trust something just fits because they bought their LR in the NADA zone.
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ ......... |... | ..__....p
    └/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

1973 Series 3, 109