Thread: Console Ignition Switch - Series 3 - Am I missing something?

Default Console Ignition Switch - Series 3 - Am I missing something?

I bought an ignition switch for my 1973 Series 3 (Pertrol). Our hosts have a similar model as the one I got, but mine is from Lucas. Looked all around the usual suppliers, and they all show this model fits Series II, IIa and III. Lucas is the supplier for LR, so pretty much "genuine". I was hoping we could rule out bad parts. This is definitely the one everyone's telling me goes into this car.

So, I open up the column and dash today and this is what I see:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210531_140838.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	13648
    Am I missing something? These look completely different. The Lucas one on the left - and every picture online - look like they should fit in the dash, just through the sheet metal, like in the II'S. But, I have a column ignition.

Before you Series II guys say anything, YES, the Series III came with column ignitions! Looking at James Taylor's book "Land Rover Series III Specifications guide" on page 74-77 is basically what I got. Bone stock.

But all the parts suppliers keep trying to sell me Series 2 ignitions. They "fit" in the same way that ANYTHING fits, if you're willing to drill out a hole in your dashboard and rewire. Not my idea of a direct parts replacement.

Looking at the later Defender and other column ignition switches and they start to look more like what I have. Again, what's going on here? This is not a hybrid car...the dealership photos from 1973 look exactly like what I have (I didn't monkey around with anything). I'm starting to think Series 3 is closer to a Defender than Series 1 or 2. Like, I'm being led to wrong parts. It's crazy making. This part is not a direct replacement.

Anyone have any ideas? Am I finally loosing it? So confused...
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ .........° |°... | ..__....p
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

1973 Series 3, 109

The one in your hand is for 'Most' Series LR's, and is dash mounted. My '76 S3 109 also has the column mounted switch. Not sure if early Defenders used the same column mounted switch. So, sometime in the mid '70's this must have been changed for safety reasons (anti-theft ?). Couldn't be an NAS thing, as my 109 Hi-Cap RHD came straight from England. Check with British suppliers if Rovers North can't help out.

I can only comment on the position in the UK. I had one of the very first S3 Petrol 's ( October 1971) and it did not have a Steering column Lock/ switch but the small individual Lucas switch as per the S2A mounted on a bracket clamped to the steering column which also held the choke cable, so that they were in exactly the same place as the lock, using the same cowls. A year later I had another S3, and that came with the lock. To just confuse matters the Steering lock is listed in the Optional Equipment Catalogue not the main one . The new switch you have obtained is the one listed in the main S3 parts book. Having two books does create confusion at parts stockists and indeed owners, if they are not familiar with Land Rover parts listing. According to my 1975 Optional catalogue the part number for the switch you need to go with the lock is 579085 . and is available under that number . https://www.roversnorth.com/search.a...&submit=Search
    I have added a couple of pics. from the relevant parts books, one showing the steering lock and its switch, plus the other showing the bracket used without the steering lock 589115
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210601_103432 (2).jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	13649Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210601_104741 (2).jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	13650.

You will probably need to take off the lock from the column to access the switch to change it. Has the switch failed? If its the steering lock that needs changing , I believe a new one will come with a new switch attached. For information the wiring is the same for both versions, with or without the lock.
    Last edited by roverp480; 06-01-2021 at 06:59 AM.

This is amazing, thank you for those images! It look like I have to get that other parts book. I've been seeing some other discrepancies. It's tough because alot of the parts suppliers just have a search tool for LR part number. If you try to just browse by category, it doesn't show up...but if you type the part number they do have it. So, in a case like this, the part is invisible.
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡

1973 Series 3, 109

I guess this goes in the pile of boxes in the garage containing parts I bought for the Rover that turned out to be wrong. Unfortunately, it's been months, so I don't think the online store will take it back...so I have a perfectly good Genuine ignition and lock cylinder I can't use.

If anyone wants it, PM me. Maybe we can trade, or hell I'll just give it away. I could use some CuNiFer brake tubing, or inner door handles, or an intake manifold for a 2.25 Petrol w/ vacuum hose tap, or a heater motor, or a 16" rim for a spare..I got some other surplus stuff too, to even up the trade.
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡

1973 Series 3, 109

If our hosts don’t have the part (please try them first since they’re kind enough to host this forum) call Pangolin 4x4 at 317-289-3000 or email info@pangolin4x4.com. The have tons on NOS parts for Series.

I'm pretty sure the NAS Spec Series III's did not having a locking steering column (my 72 certainly doesn't) in which case the part number you need is 5512508 or the ProLine part number to order from RN is PLE831. The genuine part is listed at $115.78 whereas the ProLine part is almost $100 cheaper at $17.90

Mike

Thank you all!

I gave up and just got new keys made. The original ignition cylinder and lock tumbler was fine...I just saw a $40 part and it looked like an easy weekend thing to replace. I needed a new set of keys made, and I usually like to change out the lock cylinder at the same time (you get new keys AND a new lock for about the same price as going to a locksmith).

But it got more complicated, and the part turned out to be >$100...so my enthusiasm waned. I should say my Series 3 is a RHD, so it's not North American Spec(NAS). Could be why I keep having some fitment issues buying from US suppliers vs some British suppliers. This is not a trivial point!! Also good to think about when replying what's "normal" in a Rover.

I guess I can't rely on the Parts Manual to steer me to the right part, either. Have to really know what Parts Manual matches your vehicle! Do you guys know what I mean? I happily got the part number from my official Series 3 Parts Manual, but it was not the right type fitted to my vehicle. It's right for NAS, maybe...or that option package...but not necessarily for what's in my Rover.I'm learning, slowly ;D
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡

1973 Series 3, 109