Thread: Series I

Default Series I

The series I does not have a traditional steering box. I have a lot of play in mine. Any suggestions on dealing with that?

Thanks,
    -Ed

There are two different type of steering boxes in the series one. What year is yours and does it have a main beam switch and horn push in the centre of the steering wheel or not?

Quote Originally Posted by roverp480 View Post
    There are two different type of steering boxes in the series one. What year is yours and does it have a main beam switch and horn push in the centre of the steering wheel or not?
    '55, yes on the main beam switch and horn push on the steering wheel.

Yours is a worm & nut box and even in good condition can have some play which can seem excessive. How much rotary play do you have at the steering wheel? A couple of inches is not uncommon and it can be perfectly drivable like that as long as the rest of the steering system is up to scratch. There is only one adjustment & that is to take out end float in the main column, effected by the two nuts at the top . If here is any other play ,its down to wear and replacement of parts is really the only way to reduce it. There are bushes in the box that can be easily replaced, but the worn & nuts are virtually unobtainable . I have fitted the later Recirculating ball box to my 1955 Station wagon, the result was like fitting power steering . This has virtually no play only about 1/16" at the steering wheel rim. These boxes are also scarce but one can fit an Series 2A box but it is slightly longer so the wheel will be closer to the driver and a separate headlamp and horn switch is required as used on the 1956 onwards vehicles. There are a couple of firms in the UK who can refurbish the Worm & nut box , making new parts. It may be worth asking on the Land Rover Series One club Forum what other owners in the USA have done to remedy the situation and there is a lot of worthwhile information on the subject using the search function. You have to join to view it but don't have to be a club member https://www.lrsoc.com/forum/index.ph...7240#msg237240
    Last edited by roverp480; 06-08-2021 at 03:47 AM.