Thread: Galvanized trim

Default Galvanized trim

What is the best way to clean up the trim bits. Dont think taking a sander to them is a good idea so is there another way to get the 60 year patina off? I ask because I plan on painting my 109 in the next month and it would look better cleaned up.

I have been seeing some compelling videos on YouTube about electrolysis rust removal and home zinc plating. Google it. It's not as thick as full hot dip galvanizing, but then again you can do it in a garage and not have to visit a toxic waste dump to get it done. You can also do as much of it as you want, rather than having to wait for a large batch to make it cost effective. So, you could get two plastic storage bins and a car battery charger and throw parts in as you go...one for de-rusting, and one for zinc plating. The electrolyte solution can be re-used, and same with the zinc solution. So, it would be something like :

1) Take a part off.
    2) Toss it into the electrolysis tank for 24hrs.
    3) Wash it off, toss it into the zinc electroplated solution for 24hrs.
    4) Repeat with next part.

or, save up a bunch and do a batch.

Or just buy a bunch of Galvanized trim pieces from our hosts. That might be less hassle.
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ .........° |°... | ..__....p
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

1973 Series 3, 109

aboard ship we used ospho or its equivelent, did a good job on the hull. in engineering we used ''saf acid'' .......... it's probably make a real good engine flush too.
    don't grind on the galvanizing..... it isn't very thick.

Bought this paint thinking it might be the answer. However it looks just like any other grey primer. Dont think I will use it on the side trim but the rear corners are so bad I may as well use it there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210719_133306o.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	13672

Name:	20210719_133048oo.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	13673

Name:	20210719_133042ooo.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	13674

Name:	20210719_201504oooo.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	13675

Yeah...true galvanizing is not a paint, but a zinc metal alloy that goes on by electrolysis. So, any paint that claims to be the same...especially in a rattle can, is going to be suspect. Now, it may have rust inhibitors, and be a good base coat for some other finish. But it’s never going to give that same finish as galvanizing something.

But...you know...not all these Series have to look like they just came from the factory. It’s your truck, right? So you don’t really have to have the galvanized trim. Mine is painted over. Probably a crime to true rivet-counting collectors, who cares? It’s protected from rust, and protecting these cars for more generations...so that’s fine in my book. No harm. A future owner can strip the paint if they care that much. No irreversible harm done. Besides, we have new technology now. How about powder coating? You can even get powder coating colors that look metallic, and might last longer than paint and galvanizing.

Something to consider.
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡

1973 Series 3, 109

Here is the video I was talking about earlier:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-PtnwtOR24

This guy is great(Geoffrey Corker). He has a “series” of videos on his channel where he is restoring his 88” Series...fun to watch. But this video is on electro-plating at home.

I haven’t tried it yet. But you could drill out the rivets holding on your trim bits, take them to a buffing wheel to remove the rust and do as he shows in this video and plate them with zinc. You’d get a near factory look. Then rivet them back on.
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡

1973 Series 3, 109

Quote Originally Posted by vlad_d View Post
    Yeah...true galvanizing is not a paint, but a zinc metal alloy that goes on by electrolysis. So, any paint that claims to be the same...especially in a rattle can, is going to be suspect. Now, it may have rust inhibitors, and be a good base coat for some other finish. But it’s never going to give that same finish as galvanizing something.

But...you know...not all these Series have to look like they just came from the factory. It’s your truck, right? So you don’t really have to have the galvanized trim. Mine is painted over. Probably a crime to true rivet-counting collectors, who cares? It’s protected from rust, and protecting these cars for more generations...so that’s fine in my book. No harm. A future owner can strip the paint if they care that much. No irreversible harm done. Besides, we have new technology now. How about powder coating? You can even get powder coating colors that look metallic, and might last longer than paint and galvanizing.

Something to consider.
    Yes Im not doing a concours restoration. I just want it to look decent all one color not the four colors it is now. Drilling all those rivets to remove the trim is beyond this project. The side trim and windshield are really not to bad so I may strip that one I painted rather than paint the others. The rear corners have no galvanizing left. I took a wire wheel to remove the rust and if I dont paint them they would rust again.