Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: safari roof vents

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    chilliwack BC Canada
    Posts
    55

    Default safari roof vents

    All 4 of my vents are rusted and seized. After using penetrating oil for 3 days and a hammer and punch they still did not move.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rusty vent.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	13704

    So I removed all 4. Only 4 screws out of 10 were holding each in place. All came out except 2 on one vent so I cut the heads off with a dremel tool.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4 vents.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	13705

    Bought some acid to clean them up.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	acid.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	13706

    After only a couple hours looking better.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vent2.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	13707 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	latch.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	13708

    Still seized however. So will soak some more and hope for the best. As a last resort I will remove the pins holding the latch parts together and replace with machine screws. The spring inside may need replacing anyhow. We shall see.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    chilliwack BC Canada
    Posts
    55

    Default

    No luck in loosening the seized parts. I had to remove 2 pins for each vent as I expected. The seized part.

    Attachment 13711

    After more acid and cleaning.

    Attachment 13713

    Surprising the coil spring inside was good for all 4. Reassembled with screws.

    Attachment 13714

    All back together and primed waiting for final black coat.

    Attachment 13715
    Attachment 13716

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    killingworth CT
    Posts
    813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wrongway View Post
    All 4 of my vents are rusted and seized. After using penetrating oil for 3 days and a hammer and punch they still did not move.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rusty vent.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	13704

    So I removed all 4. Only 4 screws out of 10 were holding each in place. All came out except 2 on one vent so I cut the heads off with a dremel tool.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4 vents.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	13705

    Bought some acid to clean them up.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	acid.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	13706

    After only a couple hours looking better.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vent2.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	13707 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	latch.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	13708

    Still seized however. So will soak some more and hope for the best. As a last resort I will remove the pins holding the latch parts together and replace with machine screws. The spring inside may need replacing anyhow. We shall see.
    Holy rusted mess, batman.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    116

    Default

    @wrongway: That muriatic acid works well! What kind of special handling does it require? Rubber hazmat suit? Also, what do you do with it after the parts dip? Do you save it/re-use it? Or like, neutralize it and dump it? Do you have to take it to hazardous chemicals dump? Many questions.

    I'd love a miracle rust remover for my own projects, but hate to create a toxic mess.
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ ......... |... | ..__....p
    └/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

    1973 Series 3, 109

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    chilliwack BC Canada
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Yes it works extremely well. And its way cheaper than any advertised so called rust remover. The handling it requires is being careful lol. The fumes are the worst part as they are very strong. Kept my nose two feet away. I did not wear gloves but would not handle it without eye protection. I got a little on my arm and just wiped it off with a rag, no harm done, I think it takes a bit of time to start reacting.
    You could reuse it I suppose. I just dipped the latches in a container of 100ml. Let it soak then take a pair of pliers to remove. Then I washed them off with the garden hose and dumped the 100ml into my recycling oil container to take to the depot in the future. The larger parts I used a brush to brush it on and then wash off in my driveway with water again. Im sure the water dilutes it enough that it wont be a problem as you use so little.
    Before using the acid I was going to sand blast them. The acid is quicker and way easier and less messy to use.

    Reinstalled

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	installed vent.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	13717

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Unparalleled product knowledge. Our mission is to support all original Land Rover models no longer supported by your local Land Rover franchise. We offer the entire range of Land Rover Genuine Parts direct from Land Rover UK, as well as publish North America's largest Land Rover publication, Rovers Magazine.
Join us