Thread: Torquing Layshaft Nut

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Torquing Layshaft Nut

Hey guys,
    I'm trying to finish up the transmission rebuild and need to torque the layshaft nut at the bell housing on my '69 series but, I can't seem to get it to stop turning so I can apply the 75 ft lbs of torque and install the cotter pin. Is there a trick to this? I already have my transfer case installed and haven't found a specific gear that prevents the shaft from turning.
    HELP!
    Erik Peterson
    Gig Harbor, Washington
    '69 SWB Soft Top 2.25 petrol LHD
    '71 LWB 2 Door 2.25 petrol LHD

"Every trip is an adventure in a Land Rover".

Quote Originally Posted by ep7360 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I'm trying to finish up the transmission rebuild and need to torque the layshaft nut at the bell housing on my '69 series but, I can't seem to get it to stop turning so I can apply the 75 ft lbs of torque and install the cotter pin. Is there a trick to this? I already have my transfer case installed and haven't found a specific gear that prevents the shaft from turning.
    HELP!
    I may be wrong but if you engage 4 wheel drive and put it in gear that should work provided the front wheels are on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway View Post
    I may be wrong but if you engage 4 wheel drive and put it in gear that should work provided the front wheels are on the ground.
    The transmission is not installed. Torqueing the layshaft nut which is located under the throw out bearing housing in the bellhousing. All work is being accomplished on the bench, prior to installation on the rover.
    Erik Peterson
    Gig Harbor, Washington

ahhhhhh....I see lol. I had to look at a pic to see this nut you are trying to tighten. So you need to stop the output from the transfercase from turning?

Seems like I would need to secure the aft nut on the layshaft in order to prevent the shaft from turning while torqueing the forward nut.
    Erik Peterson
    Gig Harbor, Washington

Not sure of the rebuild sequence, but if the shift forks and their interlocks aren't installed yet can't you just slide the gear rings such that two gears are engaged simultaneously - like second and third. That would lock up the box and let you torque the nut.

Ditto, engage two gears at the same time. Needs either the interlock detents to be not installed , or can be done if no selectors forks installed by levering the coupling sleeves across with a tyre lever/ screwdriver .
    etc.
    Alternatively if the main box and transfer box are built up, put it in 4th gear high range with the park brake hard on , it should be enough to hold it to torque up the layshaft.
    Last edited by roverp480; 09-20-2021 at 10:49 AM.

i'd recommend locking the box, utilizing the ''tires on the ground'' as a last resort due to the wind up in the drive train and effect on proper torque.

Ended up holding the output shaft nut while torqueing the layshaft. All good! Thanks!
    Erik Peterson
    Gig Harbor, Washington