Thread: Galvanized trim

Default Galvanized trim

I am "restoring my '69 SWB and need to replace or re-galvanize my body trim pieces. The trim was either replaced with new metal or galvanized poorly by the previous owner years ago. I really love the original look of LR galvanized trim but, mine are horrible. I've tried cleaning it up but, it has no depth to it and doesn't have any thickness like the stock trim has.

Does anyone know of a galvanizer in the Pacific Northwest that can match the original look or is there someone who has some extra older trim that they are willing to sell? I'm looking for whatever pieces that are available including a hoop set or pieces.(I'm located in the Puget Sound area) Thanks!
    Erik Peterson
    Gig Harbor, Washington
    '69 SWB Soft Top 2.25 petrol LHD
    '71 LWB 2 Door 2.25 petrol LHD

"Every trip is an adventure in a Land Rover".

Here are some pictures of my failing galvanized capping. Definitely not original galvanizing. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Galvanize Capping 1.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	13738Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Galvanize Capping 2.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	13739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Galvanize capping 3.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	13740Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Galvanize capping 4.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	13741Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Galvanize capping 5.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	13742
    Erik Peterson
    Gig Harbor, Washington

Quote Originally Posted by ep7360 View Post
    I am "restoring my '69 SWB and need to replace or re-galvanize my body trim pieces. The trim was either replaced with new metal or galvanized poorly by the previous owner years ago. I really love the original look of LR galvanized trim but, mine are horrible. I've tried cleaning it up but, it has no depth to it and doesn't have any thickness like the stock trim has.

Does anyone know of a galvanizer in the Pacific Northwest that can match the original look or is there someone who has some extra older trim that they are willing to sell? I'm looking for whatever pieces that are available including a hoop set or pieces.(I'm located in the Puget Sound area) Thanks!

Home - Seattle Galvanizing Company

Thanks for the response! Have you used these guys before? If so, would you be willing to post a picture of the finished product? Just want to make sure they can match the same look as the original LR galvanizing.
    Erik Peterson
    Gig Harbor, Washington

Quote Originally Posted by ep7360 View Post
    Thanks for the response! Have you used these guys before? If so, would you be willing to post a picture of the finished product? Just want to make sure they can match the same look as the original LR galvanizing.
    No haven't used them. I would call them and discuss what you're looking for. Not sure if they can do different shades of grey.
    Pangolin has new rear caps available if you want new. They look to shiney to me.

Yeah, it seems like the new galvanized parts don't look anywhere like the original process. I know the patina takes years to get but, the new type appears to not have pattern in the old trim.
    Erik Peterson
    Gig Harbor, Washington

Erik, one thing to ask about is "flake" size. I've had some trim pieces re-dipped and they come back looking like they were sprayed with cold galvanizing primer. Other times, the "large flake" has been just right and you get that depth and crystalline flake look. I haven't noticed any difference in durability though, and I live in a salt state and drive my Rover all year.

Good luck,

Myron