Thread: When to get Genuine? When after market is okay?

Default When to get Genuine? When after market is okay?

I realize this might be like throwing a match into a can of gas/petrol...but, forums are for discussion...so let's get some discussion going!

Genuine Land Rover parts are crazy expensive. After market parts can be as much as 75% cheaper. Sometimes, that works out. But terrible aftermarket build quality, materials and fitment issues make Genuine parts the only real option other times. It's nice to know from experienced community members when to trust aftermarket, and when Genuine is the only way to go. As a new owner, I've wasted months re-ordering bad parts. So I would love advanced knowledge, here. Maybe you will, yoo.

So, post a quick scenario where you've been surprised at great quality of aftermarket parts ("Worth it!")...

...or a scenario where Rover owners shouldn't bother, and just get Genuine("Not worth it!") and a brief bit of wisdom why.
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ .........° |°... | ..__....p
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

1973 Series 3, 109

I'll start:

Rubber Seals - Only get Genuine. Aftermarket "Not worth it!".

After market Rubber door seals are too stiff. Door won't close properly. Oil seals?? Often the price difference is $10, and the seal is far into a tear down. So, don't bother, get Genuine.
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡

1973 Series 3, 109

Door latches hardware - Aftermarket pretty good. "Worth it".

I've had fitment issues with strikers, but latches were quite good. Price makes them a good option.
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡

1973 Series 3, 109

Bolts, nuts, washers, hardware - Aftermarket is great. Choose finish options. "Worth it!".

Many times you'll see a "Genuine" copper washer go for $15. Same one in Aftermarket is 0.30. This is a "no-brainer"...go for the Aftermarket. Sometimes, aftermarket has better material options, like stainless steel for non-structural elements that are better weather resistant. Sometimes, you need to specify the finish so it matches the stock fasteners. But overall, buying Genuine LR bolts is a waste.
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡

1973 Series 3, 109

half shafts- get Genuine, or buy extra! Aftermarket "Not worth it".

I bought 3 Bearmach half shafts from 3 different suppliers. All had machining issues. One was not centered in the yolk. One had the cir-clip ring machined too low(had to use thinner c-clips)). And the final one worked. They were $25-$90 each for aftermarket...$250 for Genuine. I spent $30 shipping each time, plus a 3 week wait. Genuine would be my recommendation(if you can find it!). Aftermarket is crap on this.
    Last edited by vlad_d; 10-19-2021 at 03:04 PM.
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡

1973 Series 3, 109

Brake drums, shoes, hardware - Aftermarket
    is good quality, "Worth it."

Britpart Drums a great deal, good fitment. Mintex shoes fit great, good cost. All new hardware fits good and cheap cost. I haven't seen bad build quality or unsafe parts in aftermarket so far. I'd say, if you're contemplating aftermarket brake hardware...you're safer off with new, properly adjusted aftermarket parts than holding off until you can afford Genuine parts. New brakes are safer than old Genuine brakes. Plus, they are "consumables", so you're going to be replacing them often. Just get decent, affordable ones...and keep them "refreshed" with new, safe ones. Genuine not worth the cost.
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡

1973 Series 3, 109