Thread: 1967 Series IIa 88 feels jumpy when driven

Default 1967 Series IIa 88 feels jumpy when driven

Lately when I drive my 67 LR 88 on urban streets I feel like the car is hopping when it drives along. At first I thought I had broken motor or transmission mounts and perhaps that is still the problem. Now I am wondering if its bad shocks front or back. (They are about 8 years old.). The roads in Brooklyn are pretty bumpy and I thought with bad shocks an oscillation starts. I've felt the rear drive shaft for bad universal joints and they seem OK. Front one was replaced a year ago. Any suggestions where to look? Is it something mechanical problem a LR can develop? It feels like a tire that develops a lump or flat spot on the tread surface but I haven't found any bad surface on the tires.
    Dave

Its not jammed in 4 wheel drive is it?

"Its not jammed in 4 wheel drive is it?" This did occur to me and I put it in 4 wheel drive and then while still sitting moved the high / low lever to pop it out of 4 wheel. The 4 wheel drive lever seems to pop up OK. I know not to drive on dry asphalt in 4 wheel drive but if it is sticking on, would it produce the hopping situation?

Dave

Check all propshaft bolts for proper tightness, look at drive flange bolts at end of stub axles, (rear), for tightness. Are tires properly balanced??

Are you able to put the entire vehicle on stands? You could carefully put it in gear in 4wd and look for anything out of the ordinary (sound or visual).

Quote Originally Posted by biffidum View Post
    Are you able to put the entire vehicle on stands? You could carefully put it in gear in 4wd and look for anything out of the ordinary (sound or visual).
    I haven't found the problem yet. Yesterday I took the car to my mechanic for its yearly inspection. I had hoped to do what you suggested on their lift but they were so busy he couldn't do it then. I have jack stands and if its warm this weekend I will try your suggestion.
    Thanks,Dave

You might even have a wheel that's badly bent or a tyre with a slipped belt or one that's severely deficient in some way. Jacking up the static vehicle and spinning each wheel should reveal this in either instance. Or, taking the truck for a SLOW drive and poking your nose out the window while the wheels are turning would also reveal these conditions....obviously on a quiet back street or the mall parking lot way off in the corner out of harm's way.

check the lug nuts too. maybe a axle is loose on the springs?

At a friends suggestion I am changing the shocks. The first set I put on about 6 years ago was a fairly cheap set. This time I am trying Britparts heavy duty shocks. A friend and I managed to get the rears on today and it does seem better but we think it will be even better after the fronts are changed. The back ones move too easily in the retract direction. I'm seeing a new problem which I will post in a thread.