Thread: New Member w/ new to me 71 IIA

Default New Member w/ new to me 71 IIA

Hi

new to this forum. have spent many years throwing away my money (and sanity) in the RRC, defender and Disco world, but I just came across a very nicely maintained driver 71 IIA diesel for a fair price and thought to myself, "why not?"

Admittedly know very little about series trucks. So little in fact that I was surprised a 71 was still a Series II, a or otherwise.

I look forward to infrequently posing newbie questions as maintenance issues arise. A very fun little addition to my garage and shockingly drip free, thus far.

First question, can anyone illuminate me on the type of Canvas top this is? I havent seen this shape before with the rear windows in. I was always drawn to the 88s with a tropical top, wondering if finding those used is really possible or if it is an endless headache having to also add a safari door etc? any advice here is appreciated.

Thank you all and again, looking forward to it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpeg 
Views:	176 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	13771

Name:	1.jpeg 
Views:	180 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	13772

nice looking diesel you got there. At a glance it looks like the cab may of been from the ''pickup'' version but the pickup version cab has (d) rounded corners at the rear. I'd be interested to know if the wheels are 16" or 15" as later on imports had to have the 15" wheels to get the bumper height correct for the usa. your canvass top i am sure is a hybrid as is the rear bumper. maybe the original cab got damaged and was just shortened? I got my tropical roof off a junk yard near boeing field in seattle, check with Rovers North, maybe you can get enough parts to put one together?
    It looks like you have a winner and with that engine it should be good for a long time.

Nice looking motor. I would say that all the parts, including the door tops, behind the screen and above the waist are " home made" . Regarding the tropical top, many of the parts can be fitted in all sorts of configurations, including having a drop down tailgate and lift up flap instead of a rear door , with a roof with the tropical top. All these parts are listed in the Optional equipment parts list , the one I have is RTC9009B . These two pictures give a flavour. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211116_095733 (2).jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	13773Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211116_095836 (2).jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	13774

Quote Originally Posted by jimrr View Post
    nice looking diesel you got there. At a glance it looks like the cab may of been from the ''pickup'' version but the pickup version cab has (d) rounded corners at the rear. I'd be interested to know if the wheels are 16" or 15" as later on imports had to have the 15" wheels to get the bumper height correct for the usa. your canvass top i am sure is a hybrid as is the rear bumper. maybe the original cab got damaged and was just shortened? I got my tropical roof off a junk yard near boeing field in seattle, check with Rovers North, maybe you can get enough parts to put one together?
    It looks like you have a winner and with that engine it should be good for a long time.
    Jimrr I have family in muklteo that I visit often! From Washington myself. Maybe I can check it out next time I’m up? Let me know if that’s possible?

Previous owner in Italy you welded everything waist up and added some weird stuff.

First step is to get all that junk off and source the new waist capping. Since I’m I so cal I’ll roll around topless for a while

So much to do!

Home made is correct. There are cheap homemade windows separating the cab and the bed. I would love to get to the bottom of what it is/was originally. Drives great, and seems like there is a lot there. Looking forward to cleaning it up.

@AP22 : Welcome! I'm in the same boat. having bought my first Rover this year. But I dove in an started sourcing parts and trying to get a "factory" look (not going crazy here, but something original looking).

My advise is to grab 2 books:
    ISBN: 9781855202757
    https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/lan...ltd/1104542846
    The first one is the "official parts catalog" from Land Rover. They sell it on Amazon and our host also has it, I think. Indispensable! Has most of the factory options and more importantly the LR parts numbers. You'll find if you don't have a part number you're just limited by what part suppliers will show you. Get the parts catalog and just type the part number in the search field...BOOM...goes straight to the part the website said "they didn't have". Save the headache. Also the part numbers are critical when they changed options over years and the parts look similar...so you know they will fit. It's 100% exploded view drawings of the car...so it's very visual.

ISBN: 978 1 84797 160 9
    https://www.amazon.com/Land-Rover-II.../dp/1847971601
    The next one, if you're interested in an original restoration is James Taylor's books on the Seried 2 and 3. I have the one for my Series 3 and it's full of pictures and stats, serial numbers, etc.

For instance, here is a graphic from the book I hope they don't mind me copying:

Name:	20211119_144003.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	13779

It shows the available body options(for the Series 3, at least). You might compare the II and IIA options spread.

I agree the back end looks a little modern. Looks like it's trying to have a HummVee (Hummer) look, which is kind of popular in the US 4x4 aftermarket...but not strictly Rover-ish. But hey man, it's your ride. Have fun with it. No one can tell you what to do if you like it!

Cheers.
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ .........° |°... | ..__....p
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

1973 Series 3, 109

@AP22: Also, you said:

"...and shockingly drip free, thus far."

Heh. I say this half joking, but you might want to check your fluids. My swivel balls were bone dry when I replaces them (just because I saw some pitting and was in there anyway). Same with differentials and gearbox, etc. These trucks are tough. They will run good with no oil "for a while". And I think they all leak, even the frame off restorations. I may be over exagerating...but...check yer fluids...all I'm saying. Won't hurt. 😜.
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡

1973 Series 3, 109

exactly. order the books, thanks for the references. I did some research and spoke to the guy I bought it from and between his mediocre English, and my just plain bad Italian we got there. The vehicle was fitted with this bizarre setup from Italian military. He purchased in 1990, and has owned it since. imported to Croatia, then US more recently. He added the shoddy winch and fogs, and crude front bumper. Everything was tig welded, (great ) and Im getting out the sawzall and ordering a new waistline capping set and some others.

That being said, if anyone wants this bizarre setup, send me a note and come get her. Los Angeles.

Also, if a trop hardtop appears for sale this side of the country, id be interested. Looking forward to getting this thing better lookin

oh and I spoke too soon about the drips. Nice fat one on the driveway.

This Rover has STORIES! Italian military duty...a stint in Croatia? I love it.

You might want to leave it as is. No one else is gonna have one like this! How fun.
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡

1973 Series 3, 109

Little update.

Finally got the fastback cage off. They welded it within an inch of its life. Was able to save most of the waist capping and polish it out. Took off most of the excess junk. Looking much better.

Now to pull some wild moves at the DMV and swing getting it registered.

New seats ordered, then to tackle the gauges and auxiliary panels. Will have q’s for sure.

Anyone know where I can find a hard top on west coast? And the giant bolts that secure it? My 4 were sacrificed to the sawzall

Attachment 13842Attachment 13842
    Attachment 13843Attachment 13843