Thread: Series 1 Gears won't engage, just grind

Unhappy Series 1 Gears won't engage, just grind

So...1957 Series 1 that I did not drive for a couple of months. Started up like a champ, but will not go into any gear...just grinds. When the motor is off, it slides into all gears without a problem. I tried double clutching, rocking the truck while in gear with the engine off, etc. Any ideas? Thanks!

Might try starting the truck in first or reverse with the clutch pedal depressed. If the clutch disc is rusted to the pressure plate or flywheel that might break it free. I've also broken them free by driving in first in a jerky manner with the clutch pedal depressed.

Thanks. I will give that a shot. Right now it sits on a parking lift, so starting it in gear may result in my flying backwards out of the garage with my hair on fire

You could try starting it with clutch pedal down, in top gear and park brake hard on to stop the LR moving. Another way is to start it with the box in neutral and run it and get the engine nice & hot. Then leave it for a while switched off .The heat transfer to the flywheel will sometimes break the bond to the plate.

Are we sure it's the clutch/flywheel?

@KickTheTires said it "grinds". That sounds like gears failing to mesh up to me...like when they aren't going the same speed.

You could check the bottom of your stick shift, too. I heard some sticks get worn down to where the ball nub at the bottom doesn't even engage the 3 slots there (maybe not even actually shifting).

Either way, I'd say it's time to have a look at that clutch & gearbox. If you got it unstuck by some clever tricks...would you feel safe driving it after? You gonna do that every time it gets stuck? Probably not...

Get in there! Tell us what you see!
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ .........° |°... | ..__....p
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

1973 Series 3, 109

Fixed! Sorry for the delayed response. I put it in reverse with the engine off, then pushed the starter button. It jumped about 2 inches and then worked perfectly! Must have just been a little internal rust adhesion. Thanks to all for their thoughts on the matter.