Thread: Twist type fuel sender removal

Default Twist type fuel sender removal

After getting stranded by a full reading gauge, I’d like to trouble shooting the sending unit. How do you remove the twist type retainer? Do I need a removal tool? I’ve tapped on the little tabs with a brass punch, but they started to bend.

Name:  304742FC-9820-43FB-8B42-814CEED2BCAD.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  124.3 KB

Can't speak to the LR version, but I've removed similar senders on other cars using two large screw drivers crossed against each other as they push against two tabs at once. In this case it looks like it might be awkward as there are only three tabs (hence no two opposite each other) and the tabs look fragile. Perhaps you could push against the rounded indentations beside the tabs.

You need a steady turning force rather than a tap on the ears. Two screwdrivers may work , perhaps each hooked on the outlet pipe and an ear, at 120 degree to each other . If you have somebody else pushing down on the actual sender , may compress the seal and reduce some of the pressure stopping it turning. NB I am sure you are aware it needs to turn counter clockwise to undo, as one ear looks to be bent in the direction to tighten.

All great ideas!

My attempt:
    I have some "stubby" flathead screwdrivers - they have a handle about 1.5" and a shaft about 1". I would get 2 or 3 of those and do as @erik88lr says and stick them in the rounded recesses. Then, put your palm on the top and hook your fingers over the stubby screwdriver handles. Then, push down and turn. So you get maximum friction on the top surface, and additional purchase from theshort screwdrivers. Like opening a jar, I bet the palm friction is 90% of it.
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ .........° |°... | ..__....p
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

1973 Series 3, 109