Thread: Fairey Overdrive Question

Default Fairey Overdrive Question

Hello. I need advice from any Fairey Overdrive experts : ).

I have sourced a Fairey overdrive for my project. I figure adding OD is a worthwhile budget addition. The seller did not have the clutch sleeve assembly. I have purchased these items from John Craddock. But to attach the roller bearing to the clutch sleeve there are two circlips needed and two thrust washers. John Craddock is out of stock on the circlip kit (RTC7172) which I believe should include the thrust washers too but seems the thrust washers are no longer available. My first question is does anyone have a older worn clutch sleeve assembly where I could salvage the circlips and thrust washers.

My second question is from the original Fairey Overdrive manual. Link below. There is mention on page8 Item10 description "On no account must the anti-scuff paste be wiped from the inside of the overdrive main shaft". I Googled anti scuff paste and many choices are listed. Does anyone have a specific suggestion for what I should plan to buy? Also the part about "inside of the overdrive main shaft"? I see from the manual that the overdrive main shaft is the spline end where the clutch sleeve will seat into. But where exactly do I put the anti scuff paste? Not really clear. Does it also go into the area where the needle bearing attached to the clutch sleeve will reside inside the output gear shaft? Is the anti scuff paste also a lubricant of sorts? Anyways anyone with more experience please let me know. I do not want to make a silly mistake and destroy my new overdrive.

https://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FaireyOverdriveManual.html

Thanks, Tom

The anti scuff paste is applied to the spline connecting item 38 to the mainshaft item 40 . It is to prevent fretting between the splines where they engage . I suspect after initial running it will eventually get washed away by the oil in the overdrive and it is there to help with running in ( break in ) when first used. I have a tube of MP 3 anti scuff paste that is used on the driveshaft splines on my BMW motorcycle, and I use that on any splines I put together
    Dingocroft may have RTC7172 https://www.dingocroft.co.uk/acatalo...e-RTC7172.html

Thank you for the Dingocroft lead. I had not run across them in my search. Fingers crossed they have stock.

On the MP 3 anti scuff paste you mentioned I am having trouble finding that as a product when I search MP 3, MP3.... Can you clarify the manufacturer?

Also wanted to note I would obviously pay for a used clutch sleeve.

Thanks,

as a machinist I prefer working from drawings but you shouldn't have much problem having a job shop turn one of those for you.
    I've had two of those overdrives, they're precious in my opinion and I hate to think of the ones that went to scrap!