Thread: S2A 88" Fender Top Bolts Painted Originally?

Default S2A 88" Fender Top Bolts Painted Originally?

Might someone know with great accuracy whether the single bolts and washers on top of each fender (back near bulkhead) were originally painted at the factory, or were not painted and just left bare/zinc color? (pic attached) Thanks much

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0335.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	13803
    Last edited by Elsa; 12-14-2021 at 01:45 PM.

ON ONE OF OUR sERIES IIIs I note that the washer is painted but the bolt is not. The truck is amazingly original but who knows how that may have differed "way back when"

I would say that they were probably not painted. At the time all the panels were painted before vehicle /body assembly and I cannot imagine someone went round with a brush to touch up the fixings afterwards.

i've owned mine since new but i just can't remember whether that bolt was painted or not but i can tell you some of the nuts on the underside of the fender were painted. if I had to guess i'd say it was as giving a bunch of them a shot for the 4 or 5 offered colors wouldn't of been a big deal at the factory.

This post could open up an endless realm of true believer Land Rover Series Concours Standards.
    The mind boggles.

There could be standards developed for the proper:
    placement of oil leaks
    mandatory minimum layers of paint
    direction and duration of (pucker)brush marks
    color of exhaust smoke upon startup
    patina of cracked rubber grommets, shift boots, and door seals
    the amount of left or right spring based chassis lean

...I'm sure others will have options to add

On the painted vs bright bolt. If it and it's washer were to be painted in situ along with the fender, it would make a mess (another judgeable standard) when any servicing were done requiring the removal of the fender. It would also show primer where the washer had been. If bolt were painted after fending painting and assembly, you wouldn't necessarily make a mess of the paint on the fender when the bolt is removed.

If you carefully search the web of all things for old, not refurbed, series engine bay photographs, you'll find rusty headed bolts on the inside flap of the fender.

I prefer a stainless steel bolt and washer myself.

My 2 cents:

I took a look through the little package I got from the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust. They send out a reprint of the glossy press images for my S3...I guess the same ones you might have flipped through at the dealership/importer in the 1970's. This pic stood out:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LandRoverSeries3_109_BMHT.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	13829

...this is starting to be like grainy Big Foot photos...

But two things:

1) The Land Rover factories were a sh%t show about standards and uniformity(I say this lovingly). So, who knows if two Series ever got delivered with 100% uniformity. Enough about that...

2) I agree with @wrongway ... some nice Stainless Steel bolts, washer with a rubber washer under to prevent "galvanic corrosion" between steel and aluminum. Then the paint won't chip every time you remove the fenders\wings for random service items.

Bolts are bolts. They have a critical job. If you're keeping pitted, stripped, rusty bolts around to win points for originality - then you're missing the point, in my opinion. I'll take new bolts over old bolts every time. If I walk around a car and see new bolts in places, I know the owner did some maintenance, is not a cheapskate and willing to risk my life re-using rusty bolts they found in the barn. I intend to drive my cars, and having something snap off at 50pmh is not fun. That stainless bolt wins my respect, subliminally. Like "I see ya, brother."
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ .........° |°... | ..__....p
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

1973 Series 3, 109

ok , vlad, you win i guess. It so happens i have a few of those factory hand outs from the early 70's i could go look at but i won't mount a research expedition to find them!!!, but i'll lay eyes on them again sometime and report! having worked in production jobs here and there i could see a ''make work'' job painting a load of body bolts a couple of colors to use, whether they made it to the line after they dried may be another story. yes, they'd have to be painted before installation as detailed above.

@jimr: If you found one of those factory brochures in good condition, I'd buy it off ya in a heartbeat. I love that stuff. Go digging, we'd love to see them!
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ .........° |°... | ..__....p
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

1973 Series 3, 109

eventually gang