Thread: Front Drum to Disc Brakes

Default Front Drum to Disc Brakes

I am researching kits to switch my 1979 Series 3 from Drum brakes in the front to disc brakes. I wanted to reach out to the group and see if anyone has suggestions for kits they have used. I have found a few different kits online but am not sure which one is the best. Anyone have any recommendations?

I haven't used any of the kits yet...but, like you, I was researching them for a while.I ended up doing a new power boosted drum system instead. I may do the disc's and calipers later to the full disc's.

My main complaints were the implementation. The kits I saw fell into two categories: using later Land Rover parts, or using North American (Chevy) disc's and calipers.

I've had a hot rod that was Frankenstein parts before. I had a 1941 Chevy with a 1968 Camaro front suspension and Disc brakes. I'll tell you, finding parts was a nightmare. So many parts interchange. You couldn't just go to a parts book or computer. Pain in the ass.

So, I would be inclined to go with the custom machined Land Rover Defender or later parts. At least then whoever is working on it can recognize the parts.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ .........° |°... | ..__....p
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

1973 Series 3, 109