Thread: Hitch receiver with spare in place?

Default Hitch receiver with spare in place?

Can the hitch our host sells fit with the spare in place? It looks like it would be a close fit. Ultimately I would like to put a Kuat bike rack but keep the rear spare. The Pangolin would permanently lose the rear spare. https://www.roversnorth.com/parts/rn...iia_iii&type=4

On my S3 88" Station wagon I raised the rear mounting plate for the wheel, so it was in a similar place to the 90/110 range. This gave plenty of room below the wheel for the hitch . I basically swung the plate round through i80 degrees , putting an extra strengthening piece in the door framing to take the load.

Is there any chance you have a picture?

Probably not, it was 40 years ago , but will have a quick look at old 35mm camera shots! If I were doing it now I would try & get hold of an early defender door and fit that with the third hinge as well.

Hey guys,

Not sure if this is still an issue for you, but I just installed the tow hitch kit you referenced from our hosts on my 109 Series 3 with the safari door and spare tire rack. I'm attaching a pic with measurements:

I measured from center of where the spare hub would be to the center of the hitch. For me, its about 25.5 inches. My wheels are about 16" radius (from center hub to asphalt) so that leaves 10" to deal with the tow ball (which would probably take up 4-5 inches. Tight, but I guess do-able. Hope this helps!

Also, for anyone buying this kit:
    * The backing plate is included! The product photo shows a smaller backing plate for only the bottom 2 holes. But my kit came with the larger, 4-hole backing plate. I ordered the backing plate for an additional cost, so now I have an extra? FYI, you don't need to order the backing plate...it's included!

* I had to clearance grind some parts of the back side of the bumper (some flaps bent over) to fit. Also had to grind some of the included washers to fit in tight places. And do some "nudging" to make it all fit. But it fits well now. My bumper is old and looks like it got hit in places. But still, expect some "nudging" to fit.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ .........° |°... | ..__....p
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

1973 Series 3, 109

That’s awesome. I’ll put it in the list to pick up